Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2015, 04:09 PM

Default Austrian OJP Ammo

I ran across some Austrian OJP 58 ammo. I know it' has corrosive primers, but is it Berdan primed?
Old 08-24-2015, 04:41 PM

Default Still have some;

I still have some of this ammo. The reason being, it is too hot for the Garand. I was advised of this being hot prior to shooting the stuff. I agree it's hot, just from shooting in my 03. That's why I still have it. I reserve it for my 03. I don't have any of the spent brass on hand which leaves me to believe it's berdan primed, otherwise I'd have the brass. I don't believe it is corrosive, just hot for use in the Garand. It's been sometime since I've shot any of this. The HXP from CMP is readily available and Garand friendly.

The OJP is in a crate at the bottom of my shelf, but I seem to recall a red ring around the primer, and a crimp.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:47 PM

This says it is corrosive primed, and I agree not to use it in a Garand. http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_in...05eba0dfa4b81a

I'm a reloader, and thus the reason for my question.

Last edited by darr3239; 08-24-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:10 PM

Default Don't recall;

I suppose it could be corrosive and treating it as such might be wise. Like I said it's been a while since I've fired any of mine, but I don't recall an direct corrosive cleaning being needed. I've seen mixed reviews on this stuff. All, say not to use in the Garand.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darr3239 View Post
I ran across some Austrian OJP 58 ammo. I know it' has corrosive primers, but is it Berdan primed?
OJP ... fired a bit of it in my 03 and 03-A3 rifles. For sure hot. Berdan primed. No idea if corrosive. When I was shooting the stuff, I always cleaned for corrosive just to be on safe side. If you decide to fire it in a M-1 Garand, use one of the vented gas plugs open wide open. Then run it back till you get enough gas to rwork the action. That will allow you to avoid overdriving the operating rod with excess gas pressure. If you shoot the stuff, be sure and clean as for corrosive ammo unless you are absolutely certain that it is non-corrosive. There is no good way to try to fix a damaged bore. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:09 PM

Default Is OJP 58 Suitable for M1?

OJP is an Austrian manufactured round. Nothing found on CMP forum search but I recall it being discussed.

On other forums you get that it’s corrosive, it’s not corrosive, and this it is too hot for regular use in M1.

Looking for more information. Friend says he has a bunch of this for his M1.

Thanks, David
Old 05-05-2020, 07:03 PM

Once upon a time Ammoman advertised Danish M-2 ball for sale. I bought a case. They shipped Austrian OJP. Not even remotely close to Danish M-2 ball. They finally agreed to return the ammo, refund money. To many reports of high pressure, etc. Plenty of fine surplus and commercial ammo on the market. Not worth risk of firing such mess in a good M-1 rifle. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:30 AM

When made much of the OJP was loaded into M1 enblocks and marked “fur Gewehr M1”. I wonder if pressures increased over the decades or if it beat up their M1 rifles?

Last edited by Ammolab; 05-06-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammolab View Post
When made much of the OJP was loaded into M1 enblocks and marked “fur Gewehr M1”. I wonder if pressures increased over the decades or if it beat up their M1 rifles?
It's been several years since this has been discussed but in typical internet fashion, I recall the opposite.
That in some of the pictures the boxes were either unmarked as to usage or marked that it was for machine gun use.
The Austrians had M1919 MG's for their infantry units and so the MG ammo was for that.....

But looking at the "google" pictures what you are thinking of is the "S Patronen GM 1 " marking on some of the boxes? ?
which (roughly) means "Ball Cartridges Rifle M1."
They also had M1 Carbines and so just like with the US ammunition, they marked it differently...… so ie "S Patronen KM1" ….. Ball Cartridges Carbine (Karabiner) M1.

OP:
But either way I recall the consensus was it was not or had become unsafe to shoot in M1 Garands…….
If you google it, there are a lot of threads about it that pop up.

If you use google, add "CMP forum" to the search title and it will pull up the Forum threads, I find that easier than the search function here...….

Last edited by Gewehr43; 05-06-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
It's been several years since this has been discussed but in typical internet fashion, I recall the opposite.
That in some of the pictures the boxes were either unmarked as to usage or marked that it was for machine gun use.
The Austrians had M1919 MG's for their infantry units and so the MG ammo was for that.....

But looking at the "google" pictures what you are thinking of is the "S Patronen GM 1 " marking on some of the boxes? ?
which (roughly) means "Ball Cartridges Rifle M1."
They also had M1 Carbines and so just like with the US ammunition, they marked it differently...… so ie "S Patronen KM1" ….. Ball Cartridges Carbine (Karabiner) M1.

OP:
But either way I recall the consensus was it was not or had become unsafe to shoot in M1 Garands…….
If you google it, there are a lot of threads about it that pop up.

If you use google, add "CMP forum" to the search title and it will pull up the Forum threads, I find that easier than the search function here...….
Yep, that is the marking...packed on enblocks with a hole in the back side. I had several crates of it about 1990. Shot it all with no problems noted.