Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2018, 11:43 AM

OP, here is an older thread on this topic if any interest;

HXP Accuracy Regarding Lots

There are posts there citing some results in detail.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:31 AM

Default Hxp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
some lots are good, some are crap. If anyone can get 2 inch group with all 8 rds they are doing extraordinary

THIS !

The condition of the ammo is a big factor. Rough handling during shipment causes a lot of issues. HXP necks are sealed with a black tar substance. Over time it hardened and is brittle. If the cans or cases where dropped the sealant cracks on some cartridges. The neck tension is drastically different causing significant ignition variations. I found this out pulling bullets. Some just pop out and some would take extreme effort. I was lifting my whole reloading table off the ground. When I reloaded the powder and bullets in processed cases I eliminated the flyers and was getting 2 MOA.
I have purchased clipped 192 spam cans that you can see the bullet tips have dented the bottom. One can I bought at Perry a bullet had actually penetrated the can bottom and was protruding an 1/8". Thankfully I saw it and they exchanged it.

For some reason 69 HXP in boxes has always performed excellent for me.

Last edited by 8milimeter; 11-02-2018 at 06:34 AM. Reason: addition
Old 11-02-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8milimeter View Post
THIS !

The condition of the ammo is a big factor. Rough handling during shipment causes a lot of issues. HXP necks are sealed with a black tar substance. Over time it hardened and is brittle. If the cans or cases where dropped the sealant cracks on some cartridges. The neck tension is drastically different causing significant ignition variations. I found this out pulling bullets. Some just pop out and some would take extreme effort. I was lifting my whole reloading table off the ground. When I reloaded the powder and bullets in processed cases I eliminated the flyers and was getting 2 MOA.
I have purchased clipped 192 spam cans that you can see the bullet tips have dented the bottom. One can I bought at Perry a bullet had actually penetrated the can bottom and was protruding an 1/8". Thankfully I saw it and they exchanged it.

For some reason 69 HXP in boxes has always performed excellent for me.
That's good information IMO. I had a feeling that the age of the cartridges has an impact on the accuracy and what you've said makes perfect sense.

I have perhaps 75 HXP 77 cartridges and I'll be looking more closely at them.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemenza View Post
Found 77 dated HXP (same lot) to be above average in typical HXP accuracy. Clemenza
I think that stuff was a little on the "hot" side also.

A couple months ago I pulled down a can of that loose mixed HXP from a few years ago and weighed the charge from every case just to see how consistent they were. 71,74,77 and 82.

They were all reasonably consistent among the groups, but the 77 was about 1.5 gr more than the rest on average if I remember correctly. I can't put my hands on the notes I made, but I saved it somewhere.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:02 PM

My first HXP order included a crate of 240 rounds in en blocs and bandoliers, HXP '62. They shipped these in limited quantities. It shot extremely well, on the order of the 520 round cans of LC '53 in cartons sold a few years back. Definitely better than the mixed lot and Talon-delinked LC shipped around the same time.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:23 PM

Also if you check the cases with a case mic there is a very wide range of where the neck is. If I remember correctly 77 cases where consistently on the long side.