X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kart29
    • Aug 2011

what is HXP brass?

I've read here about folks reloading cartridges using HXP brass. What is that? Is that just the once fired brass left over after shooting the Hornady HXP ammo sold through the CMP? Is HXP just a different brand but substantially the same as brass from Rem or Win?
  • M1-TA
    • Oct 2009

Just Greek ammo.

Comment

• Hawky
      • May 2010

It's Greek M2 ball ammo, not Hornady, and the best deal on Garand food.
      ˙ǝuılƃıs ʎɯ uı ʇnd oʇ ɹǝʌǝlɔ ƃuıɥʇʎuɐ ɟo ʞuıɥʇ ʇ,uɐɔ I
      ��

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=131198

Comment

• djb25
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Kart29 View Post
        I've read here about folks reloading cartridges using HXP brass. What is that? Is that just the once fired brass left over after shooting the Hornady HXP ammo sold through the CMP? Is HXP just a different brand but substantially the same as brass from Rem or Win?
        HXP is Greek ammo, not to be confused with Hornady's "hxp" products. The HXP the CMP is selling isn't manufactured by Hornady, it was manufactured in Greece. I'm pretty sure the names are just a coincidence.

Comment

• Kart29
          • Aug 2011

Wow. That was fast. Thank you all!

Comment

• kilroywashere
            • Jul 2010

Just a side note, it makes great brass for reloading. You have to do a little more work, but it is worth the effort.
            ___
            /iiiiiiiiiiiii\
            (\OiiiiiO/)
            --UUU---(iii)---UUU--

Comment

• Kart29
              • Aug 2011

more work

Thank you all.

I think I'm going to buy the 192 rd can of the HXP ammo to get the clips, bandolere and brass.

Other than burning the powder and removing the bullets from the case, what extra work needs to be done to the HXP brass for reloading? Does it have a military crimp on the primer?

I don't think I'm in the mood to buy any more tools for swaging out primer pockets. But perhaps I could rig up a little fixture in my drill press and swage them out or even take a reamer of the appropriate diameter and ream them out by hand.

Comment

• M1-TA
                • Oct 2009

It sounds like your not going to shoot the ammo? Is that right? Excellent ammo to shoot, yes has primer crimp.

Comment

• hammonje
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2010

The crimp is a three part pinch type and easily removed by three turns of an RCBS chamfer tool. Much easier to remove then other crimps like LC for instance. Excellent brass...I don't quite understand what the other guy meant by extra work. Great brass and fantastic ammunition.

Comment

• jaw1947
                    • Oct 2009

HXP brass crimp is only 3 little stab points around the primer. I use a
                    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...u=000157777785
                    to remove them.
                    FIAT LUX

Comment

• ceresco
                      • Oct 2009

Great brass--I generally don't bother to remove the primer pocket stab crimps unless I can't seat the primer with reasonable force. Good Shooting....

Comment

• Kart29
                        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by M1-TA View Post
                        It sounds like your not going to shoot the ammo? Is that right? Excellent ammo to shoot, yes has primer crimp.
                        I figure the easiest and most enjoyable way to burn the powder and remove the bullets from the case would be to shoot the cartridges from a rifle.

Comment

• Aggie94
                          • Feb 2010

I use this from Hornady. Those tabs come out very fast.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=176759

Comment

• plarkinjr
                            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Kart29 View Post
                            I figure the easiest and most enjoyable way to burn the powder and remove the bullets from the case would be to shoot the cartridges from a rifle.

Oh thank god! I too was worried that you were going to pull the bullets manually pile the powder up outside and set a match to it.

Yeah, shoot the stuff. Its really not all that bad! Grab a few extra spam cans and set them aside for a rainy day.
                            NRA Life, Garand Collectors Assoc., Texas State Rifle Assoc., GOA, JPFO
                            CMP IDs: Customer #
                            158028; Competitor #143689
                            Dallas Texas

Comment

• Short Round
                              • Oct 2009

I find the greek HXP more accurate than the LC ammo that was de-belted machine gun ammo that was sold when I first found CMP a few years ago.

I also reload. In my opinion HXP brass in construction lies between the stout LC and the lighter commercial brass. It reloads like a dream and has less issues than LC, like LC's frequency of off center flash holes that stop my press ram cold.

Comment

Working...
                              X