Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2014, 04:59 PM

Did I hear a CLE 22 upper is for sale???
Old 06-04-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike308 View Post
Get dry lube for the 22lr. Most ammunition burns dirty and will gunk up the action requiring it to be cleaned very frequently. I use S&W dry lub and clean only when accuracy falls off. Before with CLP I would get trigger group failures, and fail to function, slam fires etc. Since using dry lube no more issues. Hoppes makes a spray dry lube.
I had the exact opposite experience with mine. When I first got it, I tried dry lube for all the reasons mentioned, but had one problem after another, mostly trigger group issues. I called CLE and the first thing they asked was what type of lube I was using. I told them and they said run CLP, it's what they used. He said try it and call back if I had any more problems. That's been over two years ago and I haven't called them yet, and the upper has been flawless since.
To be fair, there are probably better dry lubes than what I was using (Rem), so something else may work. I really wanted to use a dry lube, but it just didn't work in mine.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by park ranger View Post
Did I hear a CLE 22 upper is for sale???
I thought it was going to be for sale, when I asked this morning about someone buying HERS--I was asked to "discuss it after work because I am getting ready!" I expected a quick "yes" but that took me by surprise.

Looks like she will probably hold onto it until she can't see the service rifle sights anymore.

They are a lot of fun and are truly great trainers. As you can see, they are hard to give up.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:25 AM

Another option to have a dedicated rimfire upper is to look at CMMG.
They sell an A3 flat-top in 20" that uses the Ciener (black dog)set up for loading. These use magazines made to fit the lower that are more common, and have been proven to be reliable. I see no reason why this upper wouldn't be just as accurate as the CLE for less than half the price. You could use a standard rear sight carry handle, and put a float tube on it. But for offhand practice you don't need the float tube, saving even more money.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/615...ht-flash-hider
Distinguished Rifleman #2198
NRA HP XTC High Master (service rifle)
NRA Patron Life member
PCGC Junior Team coach
CMP GSM Master Inst.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:34 AM
GSM Master Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Cook View Post
I had the exact opposite experience with mine. When I first got it, I tried dry lube for all the reasons mentioned, but had one problem after another, mostly trigger group issues. I called CLE and the first thing they asked was what type of lube I was using. I told them and they said run CLP, it's what they used. He said try it and call back if I had any more problems. That's been over two years ago and I haven't called them yet, and the upper has been flawless since.
To be fair, there are probably better dry lubes than what I was using (Rem), so something else may work. I really wanted to use a dry lube, but it just didn't work in mine.
Same here, mine is a Derrick Martin (Accuracy Speaks) built upper with a Douglas barrel on a Ceiner kit. I have only run CLP in it and it runs beautifully.
Mike B
Old 06-08-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Ficklin View Post
Another option to have a dedicated rimfire upper is to look at CMMG.
They sell an A3 flat-top in 20" that uses the Ciener (black dog)set up for loading. These use magazines made to fit the lower that are more common, and have been proven to be reliable. I see no reason why this upper wouldn't be just as accurate as the CLE for less than half the price. You could use a standard rear sight carry handle, and put a float tube on it. But for offhand practice you don't need the float tube, saving even more money.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/615...ht-flash-hider
Discontinued item.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:13 PM

I had 5000 rounds of the CMP match ammo. About 400 rounds into it I started getting slam fires; trigger failing to reset, bolt failing to hold back etc. I opened up the action to find that the trigger group had so much gunk I could hardly see the trigger sprongs. The bolt group was a mess with firing pin barely moving.

I switched to the S&W dry lube. I clean the rifle a couple of weeks ago after putting a few thousand rounds thru it. Accuracy was getting poor. The trigger group was clean, bolt carrier group also just a quick wipe down. Scrubbed the bore out with bore paste and solvent. Now back to single hole groups-all is well.

Prior to the dry lube I was using Breakfree CLP same as I use on my ARs. I totally believe in Breakfree but what I experienced in my 22lr from CLE the switch to dry lube was the answer.

Out of CMP ammo and have put another 1500 rounds of misc Federal, Remington and Aquila. 22LR upper is still a great training tool and with a back yard range a great opportunity to get trigger time when time is short.