Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 11:37 AM

It's not that I don't want to shoot at that distance its that I have never shot anything at that distance. And while I feel fairly capable with a rifle in my hands I know I def need more practice especially off hand. I would be lucky to find paper at that distance and wouldn't want to get kicked off the firing line.

I hope to attend a c and r or garand match at monumental next time it comes around to get more experience at 200.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:04 PM

You don't see the target clearly, remember your focus is on the front sight. The black is just going to look like a fuzzy ball. Set that fuzzy ball on the front sight and carefully pull the trigger. If you do those two things you'll definitely be on paper. You'll even get a lot in the black, inside the 7 ring.

You just need to go do it. And an event like this is the absolute best place to do it.

I went to the event myself. It was my first time shooting a service rifle in twenty years. I had a ball. I'll definitely be there next year.

I'd suggest going for more than just the EIC match. I went down for the Small Arms Firing School event on Friday, the warm up match on Saturday, the NRA National Match course on Sunday, and the EIC match on Monday. I stayed in the squad bays with the military guys, and I'm a civilian.

It was a wonderful weekend. I made some friends, and the atmosphere at this event is perfect for a new shooter to go learn in.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:48 PM

Thumbs up Hear, hear! to the All Navy Fleet Week at USMC Base Quantico, VA!

Hear, hear! to the All Navy Fleet Week at USMC Base Quantico, VA!
I was there and it was a fantastic two days for me; the All Navy Match & All Navy EIC Leg Match. Special congrats to USN MIDN Carol Boyd for a fantastic performance! Wow!

Most rifles on the line were National Match M16ís from the USN & USMC or commercial AR-15ís. I did see a few M14ís and at least one National Match M1 Garand. All civilians had to bring their own ammo. Payment for a whole week of shooting was $50 and was easy to pay via Pay-Pal. Registration, payment, and travel to Quantico were all too easy.

Some great things to know about the Quantico All Navy Matches (in no particular order):

1) High level and awareness of safety, efficiency, and line control.
2) All USN Sailors, USMC Marines, and other GIís were professional & welcoming.
3) The firing line was run promptly with fantastic time management.
4) The pits were run just as good as the firing line with visible & audible pit bosses.
5) No double alibis were given (the line officer did have a good memory).
6) Target carries were new and easy to use.
7) The range was clean, green grass, and free from major holes or dirt patches.
8) All National Match Course of Fire matches ended before 3 pm.
9) The head; bathrooms where in the pits and on the line.
10) FYI Ė Donít use the bridge that goes to the pistol pits, thereís a troll under it.

* The All Navy Matches at Quantico, VA is now my new standard of how a rifle match should be run! Thanks again Captain Ryan and Commander Bartel for a professional match!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullfrogKen O'Donnell View Post

I'd suggest going for more than just the EIC match. I went down for the Small Arms Firing School event on Friday, the warm up match on Saturday, the NRA National Match course on Sunday, and the EIC match on Monday.
They running their own mini SAFS Rifle at Quantico now? What is the NRA National Match course?

thanks,

Eric
Old 05-07-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedTerrain40 View Post
They running their own mini SAFS Rifle at Quantico now? What is the NRA National Match course?

thanks,

Eric
NRA National (ATC) Match Course - 200/300/600 yrds - 80 rnd match
Old 05-09-2012, 10:52 AM

This wasn't an 800 Aggregate, Craftsman. It was a 50 round NM Course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedTerrain40
What is the NRA National Match course?
Eric, super simple explanation - its the EIC course with 2 sighters before each course of fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedTerrain40
They running their own mini SAFS Rifle at Quantico now?
Sort of. The Navy uses this to both train new shooters and identify Sailors to represent the Navy at higher level competitions. So they run a SAFS at the beginning of the blocks (rifle and pistol) to get the new shooters up to speed.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullfrogKen O'Donnell View Post
This wasn't an 800 Aggregate, Craftsman. It was a 50 round NM Course.
OK, bit of miscommunication on my part. I already knew what the National Match course of fire was. The way it was stated, "National Match course," it sounded like it was an NRA clinic to introduce National Match XTC. When you were just using shorthand to describe the NM course of fire.

Eric

Tags
competition, quantico, rifle