Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2014, 08:53 PM

Default Alibi or saved rounds?

in an EIC match rapid sitting stage, targets came up and I sat down racked the charging handle and got into position. Pulled the trigger and dry fired, the mag had not pushed the first round up enough for it to chamber. after racking the charging handle 2 more times the round finally chambered and I shot my string in a rush for an 83-0.

Same thing happened to a buddy at today's Creedmoor Cup EIC. He saved two rounds after a couple attempts in getting the 1st round to chamber.

Is this a valid alibi and should I have stopped when the first round did not chamber, or would I have saved 10 rounds and scored a 0?
Old 10-19-2014, 09:28 PM

From what i have always been told there must be a round chambered for it to be an alibi. If the line official checks your gun and theres a round that didnt go off its an alibi. If its empty you just got a zero
Old 10-20-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloreman View Post
From what i have always been told there must be a round chambered for it to be an alibi. If the line official checks your gun and theres a round that didnt go off its an alibi. If its empty you just got a zero
I think this is correct.

Lesson here is to stand, close bolt on empty chamber, insert mag, then pull down on the mag to be sure it is inserted and locked in correctly.
If the mag is not locked in the rifle correctly, you have a chance to tell your scorer the line is not ready while you correct the issue.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:12 AM

It's an alibi under CMP SR Rule 5.1.2 and NRA Rule 9.6(a):

"...If the bolt is closed and the striker has fallen, and there is an unfired round in the chamber or magazine, the competitor will be given an alibi."

Whether it's a good idea to use up your one and only alibi per stage (NRA Rule 9.14(c)) on what should be an easily fixed problem is up to you.

Maury
Old 10-20-2014, 11:33 AM

Maury you are correct in your situation.

The OP stated: "Pulled the trigger and dry fired, the mag had not pushed the first round up enough for it to chamber."

In the OP's instance, it is to the competitor's advantage to correct the problem and continue with the string of fire.

Back when I was shooting for legs, I always made sure the mag was properly in the well by trying to pull it out before the line officer asked if the line was ready.

Another problem is that shooters, in their haste to start firing, fail to pull the charging handle to the rear far enough to allow the first round to strip off the top of the mag. Always be sure to pull the charging handle all the way to the rear; pretend like you're going to back hand the score keeper.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:43 PM

i always seat my mag like im trying to push it thru the bolt
Old 10-20-2014, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

I thought EIC matches were no alibi matches (excepting maybe range alibis.)

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant
Old 10-21-2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGaskill View Post
I thought EIC matches were no alibi matches (excepting maybe range alibis.)
There are plenty of alibis in a leg match. Just shoot the EIC match during service rifle week at Perry and you will see an alibi relay at both 200 and 300.

It's the games matches that don't have any.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:11 PM

It is an allowable alibi. It shouldn't be though. It is pure shooter error.
I have done it myself and got the alibi.
The rule should be clarified to negate shooter caused alibis.
For that matter bad ammo should be exclude also but there's no way to enforce that short of pulling the suspect round apart on the line.
Or better still. Treat an EIC just like a JCG/S/VM match and have no shooter alibis.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:16 AM
Super Moderator

I think I was confusing the EIC match with the Infantry Trophy match (rattle battle.)

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant