Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 10:43 AM

I know this is a 1911 thread. However, would anyone have the same sort of information for the 92FS?
Old 04-23-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captpete View Post
I know this is a 1911 thread. However, would anyone have the same sort of information for the 92FS?
Folks will pick and choose upgrades to an M9 ball gun, but as far as I know most people have them built up by either David Sams (Sams Custom Gun Works) or Nick Abrishamian (Mountain Competition Pistols). Waits are generally about a year. Tony Kidd used to accurize them for civilians, but stopped because he works for the AMU (I think?)
Old 04-23-2012, 02:51 PM

WOW - I didn't realize they ran around $2,100 including the pistol - What drives the cost?

Is there a group of two or three key things - that would cover an 80/20 rule - for the first year of use? Then stick it in for more upgrades each winter as skill (hopefully) increases. Do you know anyone I could talk to about this approach off-line?
Old 04-23-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captpete View Post
WOW - I didn't realize they ran around $2,100 including the pistol - What drives the cost?

Is there a group of two or three key things - that would cover an 80/20 rule - for the first year of use? Then stick it in for more upgrades each winter as skill (hopefully) increases. Do you know anyone I could talk to about this approach off-line?
Amount of work to accurize the M9 is significant. I would contact David Sams to discuss what would give the most for the money.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:28 PM

I know this is an "old" thread - but agree 100% with bpm32 - David Sams is the BEST M-9/92FS gunsmith you can find - period. He led the way in developing techniques leading to high level accuracy in the M-9/92 FS while he was NCOIC of the AMU at Fort Benning. I won't say there aren't others who do a fine job in accurizing this pistol (most of them worked under him at AMU and are using his methods) - but make no mistake, David Sams led the way - and contunues to build some serious pistols. I have four of his pistols - and three of his rifles. Maybe I am biased?
Old 02-09-2013, 07:14 AM

Unless you have significant gunsmith experience honestly trying to build a competitive 1911 yourself will be a failure- it demands MUCH more skill and fitting than building an ar or even an m1.
All the right parts to start for a 1911 will be close to a grand before you put together anything. A from the factory les baer will be better and most likely less costly in the long run.
I myself if starting again would suck it up and go for an m9.
You might try this:
Buy a box stock 1911
Buy a box stock beretta
Shoot each for a season as is then look at your scores and how the guns ran for you.
Which ever shot better for you get built into a match gun and sell the other to get back some cost.
It may sound like sacrilege to some but I found I shot a beretta much better than a 1911
Old 02-10-2013, 05:22 PM

I hold Distinguished Badge #1319.
I built my own gun but would not recommend it.
The smartest thing I could have done was have Jim Clark Sr.
build one for me but... I was young and hard headed. Back when I
started on mine you could still find NOS GI NM slides, barrels and bushings.
I bought a bare bones Essex frame and went from there.
Springfield Armory now makes the "Range Officer" that fellow bullseye shooters have had good luck with just fitting a new barrel bushing. You will also have to replace the beavertail grip safety but that's all it needs to be CMP legal.
It was a great journey and lots of fun!
Get a pistol and go for it!

JLK

oooops, I think you will also have to replace the safety

Last edited by JLK*; 02-10-2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: added safety info
Old 02-10-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLK* View Post
I hold Distinguished Badge #1319.
I built my own gun but would not recommend it. The smartest thing I could have done was have Jim Clark Sr. build one for me but... I was young and hard headed. Back when I
started on mine you could still find NOS GI NM slides, barrels and bushings. I bought a bare bones Essex frame and went from there. Springfield Armory now makes the "Range Officer" that fellow bullseye shooters have had good luck with just fitting a new barrel bushing. You will also have to replace the beavertail grip safety but that's all it needs to be CMP legal. It was a great journey and lots of fun!
Get a pistol and go for it!

JLK

oooops, I think you will also have to replace the thumb safety
And the hammer.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:42 AM

Ooops again!
You're right, the hammer!

JLK