Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 04:05 PM

Default All Navy Matches @ Quantico -Thanks and recommendation

I would like to express my thanks to all of the people who worked so hard to put on the All Navy Matches being held at Quantico this week. I am a first time service rifle competitor and a civilian with no military connections or background. I had a long drive, was alone, and nervous about competing. Entry onto the base is very easy, just show your driverís license. You do not need top secret security clearance. Captain Ryan and Commander Bartel explained everything that I needed to know in clear and easy to understand instructions. They will put you with experienced personnel and there was always someone close by who was willing to help or answer a question. It does not matter whether you are a nationally ranked competitor, a beginning service rifle competitor, or someone who wants to learn to shoot at longer distances. No one will look down on you. Everyone is treated equally and fairly. The matches are very safe, well organized, and professionally conducted. It was a privilege and honor to compete against the very best. If you are not there to compete, the experience you will gain from having the opportunity to shoot at distances longer than your normal rifle range will make you a better marksman or hunter. I canít recommend these matches highly enough. This is the first year that civilians have been allowed to compete, and you may not get an opportunity next year. They want civilians to participate. There is a match on Saturday, April 21, 2012. There are many open positions and I can promise you that if you miss this opportunity you will regret it.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:32 PM

How much to enter? Shot at 200 or 100?
Old 04-17-2012, 07:49 PM

$50 for the whole All Navy week, I think. The match bulletin is at:

http://www.usnst.org/

I'm not a service rifle shooter, but the Saturday EIC match is at the 600 yard range (Range 3), so presumably it's the standard 200, 300, and 600 yards?
Old 04-17-2012, 08:45 PM

Bachrahunter

Great report.

Can you tell me, what were the rifles and ammunition used? Did civilians and Service use the same rifles and ammunition?

Thanks

Ray
Old 04-17-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu929 View Post
Shot at 200 or 100?
200, 300, 600 and 1000.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

"It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!"
Old 04-18-2012, 01:15 PM

Default Rifles and ammo used

They had many different types of rifles at the match. I saw mostly M16/AR-15 but I saw at least two M14 rifles and one of the competitors told me that he saw M1 Garands farther down the line. As far as I know, the competitors bring their own ammo. I know that you can not buy ammo at the matches. You are permitted to use any ammo as long as it is not tracer, exploding, and is safe. I saw people using handloads, standard ammo, and then there were people using special ammo for their particular rifle. For example 79 - 90 grain match bullets in .223/5.56. I was competiting with a .223/5.56 and one of the competitors told me not to use the .55 grain or lighter bullets because after 200 yards you will have a problem and you will not even have a chance at 600. I was given some Black Hills ammo using Sierra 79 grain bullets at 2,810fps. It worked great even at 600 yards.

I am new to this class of competition so I hope that I got it right and this helps you. I tried hard to remember everything they tried to teach me, but it was really hot on the course and I was not able to write it down. I was very lucky to meet and talk to very experienced competitors. One of the guys after he rattled off a whole list of facts and a complex explanation looked at me and asked if I got what he said. I had to say unfortunately that I did not because I did not have the basics much less his level of understanding. He asked me what I was going to do and I told him that I would just follow their lead for this match and do what they tell me to do, when they tell me to do it, and how they tell me to do it. Then I would study really hard at home for the next match. He said that's the spirit and then laughed as he walked away.

Can anyone recommend sources for study? Thanks.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:01 PM

The most comprehensive source that I know of is Modern High Power Shooting: Beginner to Master by Randolph Constantine. It's dated (1996) so there's not much on the AR, but it's a great overview. Big book, weighs about ten pounds! It's out of print, but copies turn up occasionally or are offered for sale on forums like this one.

If you are not already a member, consider joining the National Match Forum. You need to join to even read, but it doesn't cost anything and a lot of the top national shooters contribute and they are very helpful with beginners.

http://www.usrifleteams.com/forums/

Resp'y,
Bob S.

"It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!"
Old 04-18-2012, 09:58 PM

Wow... 600

Ok Im out... lol

Never shot my garand at this distance an a match isnt the place to try for the first time. I was hoping to catch a 100-200 yard match to try my first competition with the garands!
Old 04-19-2012, 05:19 PM

Bachrahunter

Thanks again for all the information. It looks like the ARs have just about completely taken over, at least for the 600 yard matches.

The experienced shooters will not give you bum dope. "Look and listen" is always good advice. And go over to both of the National Match forums. They are not near as active as CMP but there's still a lot of good info there.

http://www.usrifleteams.com/lrforum/index.php?act=idx

http://www.usrifleteams.com/forums/i...&section=login
Old 05-02-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu929 View Post
Wow... 600

Ok Im out... lol

Never shot my garand at this distance an a match isnt the place to try for the first time. I was hoping to catch a 100-200 yard match to try my first competition with the garands!
Their is no better place to shoot you M1 than a match. The distance is relative, and it will be an experience you will treasure forever. Competition/match shooting is best viewed as "an organized practice". Keeping that in mind has helped me in the early stages of my shooting career.

Tags
competition, quantico, rifle