Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2019, 09:26 PM

Default Opinions wanted on this possible USMC 1903

Hello all. I acquired this SA 1903 which has what appears to be a number of USMC features. I am a 1903 amateur, and I am looking for opinions on whether this was indeed a Marine rifle, and any other thoughts on its possible history. It is in a replacement stock with no markings other than a J in the cutoff area. The action screws are staked in place. The buttplate has been hand stippled with a round punch. A Hatcher hole has been drilled crudely, and it looks like the bolt was opened up in the same area. The bolt has been serialized, but does not match the receiver. It headspaces OK with a field gauge. There is some serious staining in or under the park where the receiver was exposed to the air. There are no direct hits for this serial in the SRS database but I do see some other USMC rifles pretty near it. I am curious if the experts who keep track of USMC 1903s have any more information from a serial number range perspective.

The barrel is a SA 2/42, but when I removed the handguard, there were no discernible wrench/vise marks on the barrel where they are often seen on Marine rebuilds. Does that preclude the possibility of this being a Marine rifle?

Thanks for any information anyone can give. If you'd like to see a picture of something else let me know.

Last edited by 42Springfield; 11-13-2019 at 09:24 AM.