Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2016, 11:44 PM

Default "Keep Shooting" magazines

I read in a couple of places that "Keep Shooting" makes a pretty reliable 15 round carbine mag so I bought three of them at two different times. They're inexpensive at $11.95, look good, seem well made, snap in nicely with an open or closed bolt and drop freely with a press of the release button. Early this week I took them to the range, loaded them with ten rounds each and right from the start the second to last round would FTF. As I continued to use them the FTF rate increased to 40-50%.
When I got home and took them apart I found that the spring had been inserted backwards in all three of them. After turning the springs around I returned to the range today and all three mags functioned flawlessly.
So, if you're looking for a good non USGI mag at a good price, give them a try but just be sure to check the spring before you use them.

And before anybody tells me that USGI mags are the only way to go, I have those as well but wanted to try an aftermarket one.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:59 AM

Everybody likes original USGI magazines, but if you can find recently manufactured magazines that are 100% reliable why not use them. I have used plenty of 100% original USGI magazines that were simply worn out and did not function reliably. I can go to flea markets, tag sales, militaria shows, gun shows etc...and see plenty of rusted beat up, worn carbine magazines, doesn't mean they are worth a darn.

Good report for those maybe needing some inexpensive "range" magazines.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrm View Post
Everybody likes original USGI magazines, but if you can find recently manufactured magazines that are 100% reliable why not use them. I have used plenty of 100% original USGI magazines that were simply worn out and did not function reliably. I can go to flea markets, tag sales, militaria shows, gun shows etc...and see plenty of rusted beat up, worn carbine magazines, doesn't mean they are worth a darn.

Good report for those maybe needing some inexpensive "range" magazines.
+1
Old 04-03-2016, 10:22 PM

I recently bought a Keep Shooting 10 round magazine to supplement the 15 round ones coming in from Germany. I tried them on my new carbine and I could not get them to shoot reliably at all. Maybe a 75% failure. How can you tell if the spring is in backwards? This could be the problem...
Old 04-03-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGI_1911 View Post
I recently bought a Keep Shooting 10 round magazine to supplement the 15 round ones coming in from Germany. I tried them on my new carbine and I could not get them to shoot reliably at all. Maybe a 75% failure. How can you tell if the spring is in backwards? This could be the problem...

The best way to be certain is to remove the spring and make sure the higher part is at the back of the mag. The base plate of the mag is hard to remove and won't just slide out like on USGI mags. The easiest way to remove it is to grab the front edge with a set of pliers and carefully pull it out while holding your thumb over the bottom to keep the spring from flying out.
You can also get an idea by looking at the follower and seeing whether it's lower at the back than at the front which it shouldn't be. Another way is to load a single round and when you look at it from the side, it should be sitting level in the mag and not tipped slightly lower in the back.

Here's a video that'll demonstrate:
http://youtu.be/0zhgukWs4Eo
Old 04-03-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGI_1911 View Post
Easiest way to explain proper spring orientation is the longer end goes to the back
Old 04-03-2016, 11:29 PM

Would you look at that! The cartridge does sit lower in the back! Well that would explain the weird failure to feeds that I was getting at the range. Sometimes it would even spit another out and jam on the second. I can't wait to try it again.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:25 AM

USGI_1911, also note if you load a round or two into a mag that you suspect as having a reversed spring and also into one that you know is good and then look at them from the back, you'll see that because it sits lower at the back there is less of the cartridge head for the bolt to contact and push into the chamber which is ultimately the reason for the misfeeds.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:18 PM

I'll have to take a look at mine. Glad to save a potential headache. Haven't had time to take my ten rounders to the range yet to see how they function.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:05 AM

Thanks for the heads up.

Also wish they were last round hold open, but alas