Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2021, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrifles View Post
Likely not issued since the refurb. You might have a new barrel there, what does the bore look like?

I shoot my Long Branch regularly in VMR matches, itís a good shooter. If I donít shoot a clean score, it was my own fault. And Iíve put about 5,000 rounds thru that barrel (a BSA 5 groove).
Definitely a 2 groove and a mirror bore looks brand new sounds like it might be, canít find any markings on the barrel looks like the import markings are on the underside of the end of the barrel
Old 03-28-2021, 07:05 AM

If the forend bedding is in good condition, this rifle should be a great shooter.

With the front trigger guard screw tight (25 inlbs), lift the muzzle off the forend bearing at the front band. It should take a light hand pressure to lift the muzzle, and it should raise by about 0.05 inches. You should not be able to push the barrel downward at the muzzle, it should be firmly sitting on the forend muzzle bearing and no sideways movement.

Do you have ammo to test fire the rifle? PPU 174 grain FMJ is good, and the cases are excellent for reloading.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
If the forend bedding is in good condition, this rifle should be a great shooter.

With the front trigger guard screw tight (25 inlbs), lift the muzzle off the forend bearing at the front band. It should take a light hand pressure to lift the muzzle, and it should raise by about 0.05 inches. You should not be able to push the barrel downward at the muzzle, it should be firmly sitting on the forend muzzle bearing and no sideways movement.

Do you have ammo to test fire the rifle? PPU 174 grain FMJ is good, and the cases are excellent for reloading.
I need to get some ammunition I put of some notifications so when it becomes available again. I want to get into reloading so I have been saving brass and thatís good to know.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:

I would also add, check to make sure the butt stock is on tight. They may feel tight but if you get a good hold on it and rotate the butt from the action they might have some wiggle.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
I would also add, check to make sure the butt stock is on tight. They may feel tight but if you get a good hold on it and rotate the butt from the action they might have some wiggle.
Early in my collecting career I split a 1903 stock from loose screws one of the first things I do is tighten all the screw on rifles ever since
Old 03-29-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1garandRdandy View Post
These are all the markings it has i don’t think it’s a rebuilt rifle no serial number on the bolt or magazine, do you suggest an order of photos most parts seem unmarked
I just noticed this: “no serial number on the bolt”. The back surface of the bolt handle should have the same serial number as the receiver indicating it has been fitted to the rifle. Bolts are not interchangeable without being fitted for equal lug contact and headspace. That involves checking lug contact with engineers blue or other suitable material (a sharpie will work) and using a fine stone to dress the high surface of the bolt lugs until you get equal contact of both lugs. Then, check headspace as usual.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I just noticed this: ďno serial number on the boltĒ. The back surface of the bolt handle should have the same serial number as the receiver indicating it has been fitted to the rifle. Bolts are not interchangeable without being fitted for equal lug contact and headspace. That involves checking lug contact with engineers blue or other suitable material (a sharpie will work) and using a fine stone to dress the high surface of the bolt lugs until you get equal contact of both lugs. Then, check headspace as usual.
Thank you for the heads up you have a ton of information your username is well deserved