Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2017, 06:10 AM

That is a nice rifle that I would have been THRILLED to receive. Considering HRA, original finish and barrel, USGI wood I'll bet it's far better than most of them going out these days. The bayonet lug issue is minor and to be honest with you I would not even bother doing anything with it if it's a good fitting gas cylinder. Bayonets are cool and all but how often do you affix them? You may get one that fits or looks worse if you exchange it.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:02 AM

If it makes you feel warm and fuzzy, I am jealous. Post the parts breakdown and we'll help you out.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:17 AM

that rifle, under the moldy haze, looks pretty damn nice to me. Can you post any stock markings? Sure, it's disappointing to get it like this, but it's all superficial, and easy to remedy. Murphy's wood oil soap and a terry cloth towel will have it looking like new again in 5 minutes.

Last edited by A Seabee; 02-15-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:34 AM

Some of you folks crack me up; wanted to post a 'welcome to the forums & hold onto your wallet' for the new guy.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTN View Post
I have seen that white mold on stocks that were overoiled and not wiped down. The mold started feeding on the excess oil. A quick wipe down with a small amount of linseed/tung will clean it up. Storage in a cool dry place will keep it from returning.
Woodworkers have told me mold and mildew love raw linseed oil. Apparently tung oil has some natural anti-fungal properties and is preferred when mold is a concern. Perhaps drying agents in BLO kill the little buggers, too, I don't know. YMMV.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:10 AM

I once bought a decent Garand stock for dirt cheap because it had a lot of mold inside and a little outside. I used vinegar to clean it up, worked well for me.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:24 AM

My bet is i could fix that bayonet lug.I would use a screw driver pounded into the slot to lift that corner up straight.The taper on a straight blade would work nicely.I would take it off the rifle and come in from the back of the lug.Of course it would be done very carefully.Problem your going to have is they may send one completely off color.If you cant do something like that find a buddy thats handy and careful to do it
Old 02-15-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike762 View Post
Hello everyone first post, finally got my account activated so I could post. I ordered a CMP SG back in September and finally got it delivered a few days ago.

Opening the hard case I was kind of disappointed with what I saw. The wood is very dry and there seems to be some mold/mildew on the right side of the stock and some spots on the inside. The bayonet lug is also damaged and I can not mount the bayonet.

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/pzMM8

After seeing what others have received for service grades and even some field grades I'm not sure how to feel. I contacted the CMP last night but still have not heard back. Should I try to send it back? Or keep it? I know for sure I'll at least need a new gas cylinder so I can mount a bayonet.

EDIT: Now knowing more about what I have I plan on keeping the rifle and fixing up the stock. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Rough Service Grade...?

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
(Not necessarily in that order)

Yours just needs a little BLO.

GR

- Marine Major General William H. Rupertus - The Rifleman's Creed
Old 02-15-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
That's a beautiful rifle !! I love old dirty stocks, just wipe off the (mold ?) and leave it as is.
Most of my cmp rifles I have I never do much to the stocks, just a little wipe down. .
Congratulations on a good looking H&R.
I agree. For me, less is better. I refinished my first and once in a lifetime rifle and have regretted ever since. Wipe it down and that will be a good looking rifle!
Old 02-15-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
The OP is a brand new poster and new Garand owner. He has been shown the light and has seen the light. Read his three posts. No need to pile on anymore.
Nonsense! Bill and Larry love to kick newbies!

It helps keep the number of people on the Forum down, if you attack newcomers for ignorance instead of nicely educating them.

"Life is Good!

Tags
service grade