Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2020, 06:28 AM

Default Stock question

I have been cleaning up a few Garand stocks that Iíve had for a few years now. This stock had a varnish looking finish to it but I believe that it was dried grease or cosmoline. I did a light cleaning around the area that there would be any markings.

I can definitely make out a cross cannon and also a very faint SA to the upper left of the cross cannon.

Is there anything that Iím not seeing under the SA ?

What would be the best way to clean this stock to possibly reveal any markings below the SA or at least make the cross cannon and SA show up a little darker ?

https://imgur.com/a/cF0BnI9

I can get some more pics of the stock after work if that would help.

Thank You for any information
Chas
Old 08-10-2020, 06:35 AM

Default Stock

I believe I see an M at the end under SA. Possibly S.H.M ?
Old 08-10-2020, 08:09 AM

The extreme cleaner is Easy Off oven cleaner. While some disagree, I have not seen adverse effects when used properly. A soft brush can be used to work the cleaner into crevices. Spray on a coating, then scrub off with soap and water followed by a quick dry off using paper towels. This will remove virtually all finishes leaving the surfaces clean and somewhat dry. Seeing all the markings sometimes requires wiping with oil to improve contrast. Good Shooting. ....
Old 08-10-2020, 09:30 AM

I have cleaned gunstocks with a soft bristle brush and Murphy's Oil Soap/water. Then wipe off with a lint free cloth.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:59 AM

I’m seeing a W. Is there a small Ord. wheel on the flat of the pistol grip?
Old 08-10-2020, 05:01 PM

I believe I also see a "\" of an M or W under the A. This could be either G.A.W or S.H.M. Additional information for each inspector below.

S. A. / G.A.W. (Springfield Armory / George A. Woody).
S/N 1,978,000-3,627,000 August 1943- March 1945
Even though George A. Woody died in August 1944, his inspection stamps remained in the Stamp Racks until March of 1945. An overlap with the SA/NFR stamp. Other stamps used on the stocks were the circled 'P' proof mark (with serifs) on the pistol grip, and the Ordnance Wheel with Crossed Cannons. The wheel was .437" in diameter. A small .188" Ordnance Wheel was stamped on the bottom of the pistol grip.

S. A. / S.H.M. (Springfield Armory / Steven H. McGregor).
Used on new production rifles of S/N range 3,870,000 - 3,888,081 June 1945 - November 1945
S/N 81-3,888,081 Rebuild program. November 1945-December 1947
Other stamps used on the stocks were the circled 'P' proof mark (with serifs) on the pistol grip, and the Ordnance Wheel with Crossed Cannons. The wheel was .437" in diameter.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the replies !! I didnít have time to work on it today. Hopefully tomorrow I will. Iíll try a little more light cleaning. This stock was in good shape other than the crystalized looking grime on it. I also did not notice a cross cannon on the pistol grip flat but Iíll look tomorrow. I already have 2 GAW and 1 NFR stocks with all 3 having the CC stamp on the pistol grip flat.

I was thinking about giving it a cleaning with a 50/50 mixture of RLO or Real TO and mineral spirits.

Would this be a good decision ?
If I took a few pics of the stock itself would that be of value ?

Thanks again
Chas
Old 08-11-2020, 09:41 AM

Pics show a stock that is really black and oil soaked?? Unless it is something really special, I don't see a need to be particularly carefull. I would clean it first to whatever degree you choose and then apply a finish (BLO being my choice). Graded cleaning starts with a solvent wipe down and ends with the Easy Off or dishwasher treatment. Your choice. Good Shooting. ...
Old 08-14-2020, 01:58 PM

If you're trying to get off grease and grime in old cosmoline? Use WD-40 and a toothbrush with also some 4/0 bronze or steel wool. Make sure you soak the heck out of the steel wool before applying it to the stock. Use light pressure. Don't scrub. Don't use easy off, Break free, or any other cleaner degreaser. Just use WD-40. And try not to get too much around the cartouches. They will swell up and disappear.