Originally Posted by bandofM1 View Post
No carbines,a few sg garands
How were the SG's?

Did you get anything?
Old 06-01-2017, 10:08 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ljagdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papamuc View Post
Today was a nice day in the Detroit area, so I took my new 6 Mil. Springfield M1 out to the range. As mentioned last week, the receiver is from 1957 and the Springfield barrel was made in March of 1967. The barrel has an ME of 0 and a TE of 1.0. I also added a NOS bolt that I bought at Camp Perry last July.

The results, in my opinion, were outstanding. I was able to shoot minute of angle groups, consistently, at 100 yards, using three different 168 grain hand-load recipes, (Nosler, Hornady and Sierra Tipped Match-King). The brass and primers were mixed LC, RP, HXP and a few others.

I have another Springfield, from 1944, with a NOS 1951 Springfield barrel, but it doesn't come close to this rifle. These results made me wonder if I somehow got one of those unmarked NM M1s that I've heard about. I know some 6 Mil M1s were turned into NM rifles, but I see no NM marks anywhere on this rifle. Or, maybe its because of all of the "brand new" parts in this rifle. Whatever it is, I am a very happy shooter. Can't wait for the John C. Garand Match this Summer!
I have heard in past that they put out some unmarked NM M1s. My buddy had one that would fire well under Minute of angle. I only fired I clip of HXP thru it at 100 yards. 7 of 8 shots were touching. 8th 1/2 in out. that is not normal for garand.
ljagdtiger
Old 06-02-2017, 09:06 AM

I went yesterday, only 4 people were there at 8:30. There was a full half rack of SG's and about 8 FG's. I picked out a 3.4m Springfield with 2-45 dated barrel. Rifle was all correct except for a late rear sight and new CMP stock. Muzzle was a 1 and TE a 2, breech was in the white.
The FG's were all reparked. The SG's had 5 or 6 HRA's, with three 5.7 m. 2 were electro etched on receiver leg with SA and a 65 date. There was a NM SA also with etched receiver leg. They all had original finish with breech in the white. The rest of the rifles included some 43 and 44 but reparked. Some 41 and 42's rebarreled with 47 and 51 dated barrels.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado7 View Post
I went yesterday, only 4 people were there at 8:30. There was a full half rack of SG's and about 8 FG's. I picked out a 3.4m Springfield with 2-45 dated barrel. Rifle was all correct except for a late rear sight and new CMP stock. Muzzle was a 1 and TE a 2, breech was in the white.
The FG's were all reparked. The SG's had 5 or 6 HRA's, with three 5.7 m. 2 were electro etched on receiver leg with SA and a 65 date. There was a NM SA also with etched receiver leg. They all had original finish with breech in the white. The rest of the rifles included some 43 and 44 but reparked. Some 41 and 42's rebarreled with 47 and 51 dated barrels.
Nice SG report and sounds like you spent some time going through the rack..
Seems there are still some decent ones left.
Congrats on your choice of a nice rifle.
Thanks for the report!!!
Old 06-02-2017, 01:41 PM

Great report, thanks!
Old 06-02-2017, 02:18 PM

Any collector's left? If so, about how many. I may try and go after I am done training with my company.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:28 PM

I stopped in today and was in the store for an hour by myself. When I left at around 3:30 there were at least 18-20 service grades on hand, 5 of which were HRA with the rest being Springfield. Quite a few of these rifles have correct barrel's, and several were WW11. There were 7 or 8 field grades left, all Springfield, most reparked but a couple that were either original finish or reparked many decades ago. A couple of those were WW11, and there were a couple six digit receiver's in that lot also. I believe there were about five of the correct grade WW11 still left, and even though I didn't look at the correct grade HRA's, the rack they were in last week still was fairly full. Three full rack's of drill rifles, several rack's of both M1C and M1D, and if you are wanting to upgrade the furniture on an 03A3, they have a large selection of drill's with lot's of beautiful stock's. The North Store remain's as stocked up as i have seen it in the last year and a half, and if your contemplating a trip you should be able to find something to take home with you.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:39 AM

Curious, what do they get for 03 & 03a3 drills now?
Old 06-04-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrigged View Post
curious, what do they get for 03 & 03a3 drills now?
$150