Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2012, 02:48 AM

Default No Lower Band & Pin?

Dear Sirs;

You have great items and quality replacements. I have found one odd thing. In the M1 Garand replacement stock, handguards and metal kit, you do not provide the lower band and pin. I am curious why you do not include that those two items.

Please advise.

Thank you and keep up the great work.

Mike Kelly
CMP Customer
Old 01-25-2012, 06:27 AM

they cant supply everything, lower band and pin really isnt a piece of the stock set
Old 01-25-2012, 10:26 PM

I would think that one would want the color and condition of the metal of the Stock Ferrule & Swivel, Front Handguard Ferrule, and the Lower Band to match. I know that I do. If they are not all from the same source, they probably will not match. That is my point.

MadDog 1969
Old 01-26-2012, 01:10 PM

The parts supplied with the stock set attach directly to the wood. The lower band does not. As Orlando correctly states, it really is not a part of the stock set, and you have to draw the line somewhere. The lower band is a relatively complex and expensive part to make, and inclusion would add a significant cost to the kit. And there would be no guarantee that the finish would match. Different alloys and metal treatments react differently to parkerization, and can produce different shades and colors, even when done in the same batch.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog1969 View Post
I would think that one would want the color and condition of the metal of the Stock Ferrule & Swivel, Front Handguard Ferrule, and the Lower Band to match. I know that I do. If they are not all from the same source, they probably will not match. That is my point.

MadDog 1969
Hi MadDog,

Even when the rifles were new the finish on all the metal parts did not necessarily match. Especially during WWII. A lot of "small shop contractors" supplied parts and their parkerizing formulas did not always produce the same results.

Your best chance to get "matching metal finish" is with the special grade service rifles thru the CMP and even then, they use newly manufactored parts which may not come from the same place as other metal parts.

Unlike a rifle manufacturer, I think the CMP is just concerned with functionality rather than "eye appeal".

HTH's.....................AB