Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2012, 07:16 PM

Been there from 1030 to 1215. Service grade selection is amazing. Both, SA and HRA. I saw at least a half dozen with MW 0+ and nice USGI wood. Also lots of rifles with brand new CMP stocks and hand guards - almost like service grade specials but for $300 less. After a long choice agony finally picked two. First, SG SA 30xx,xxx with WRA bolt and SA 5-54 MW 1+ TE 2+ barrel, USGI wood. Second, SG HRA (can't recall SN, shipping them since I'm vacationing in PA) looks all correct with SA MW 0+ TE 1+ barrel, very good HRA USGI wood.
There are some NMs on two top right racks, field and service grade for $1500 and $2000. Worth looking, for sure, but out of my league. So. If you can - run for SG cherry picking, you will not regret the time you spent on a trip.
I has a naive hope to see some .22s but found only two somewhat beaten-up Stevens on a rack (for about $300), that's it.

Last edited by alexei_frolov; 01-04-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:15 PM

Default First on site today

No pictures either, sorry, maybe later. First post for me ever on any forum. I was at the store at 7am as I was anticipating a large group of hungry SG seekers. I had both my (gun loving) son-in-laws with me to find a HRA SG as I needed all the help I could get never being to the store before. We drove two hours from north of Detroit so I had time to instruct them on what to look for as one is more into plastic guns (AR15) and the other shotguns (although he has a sweet 1903a3 given to him from this grandfather who served during WWII). While waiting I got some great help from a local gentleman that gave good advice on what to do after we told him what we were looking for. Funny how small the North store seems after looking at some posted pictures here earlier. About ten individuals came in when the store opened up but most everyone else went to the SA SG section.

Well to say the least my head was spinning but I remembered how to read and found the HRA SA rack. Both sides of a rack were full of HRA SG's. I think I must have been excited as I had a rifle in each one of my three hands, when I started looking (seemed like it anyway). I was looking for the right stock for the given serial number and hopefully a LMR barrel (none found) with low as you go ME and TE. We ended up with two rifles. The first rifle we took home was the forth rifle we broke down at the counter, it had a HRA trigger group and it turned out everything else HRA except the front sight with a ME of 1 and a TE of 2+. The stock (very dark walnut) had some character from bumps and bruises but it also had the right DOD 1/2 stamp and circled P SR# 5659xxx. I wish I could remember the gentleman's name who was introduced to us as the Garand Guru, when he pulled the trigger assembly out and looked at the rifle again he seemed a little amazed and said we were basically getting a correct grade (G2) with this one.

The second rifle was SN#5511xxx with a very nice correct dark walnut stock and 3/8 DOD and circled P. ME 1+ TE 2+ (both measurements looked the same as the HRA above to me). The only thing this one did not have was a correct trigger group. But, I found the trigger group to be almost 100% correct for an early SA so at least we have something to push against the cost of a correct HRA trigger group for the second rifle to become a G2.

I guess the fun will start this weekend as we move into clean up mode on these two beauties. We also picked up 100 rounds of loose ammo, slings, a bad A$$ WWII bayonet and 25 empty 50 ammo cans. Can't wait to go back.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by into the sun View Post
No pictures either, sorry, maybe later. First post for me ever on any forum. I was at the store at 7am as I was anticipating a large group of hungry SG seekers. I had both my (gun loving) son-in-laws with me to find a HRA SG as I needed all the help I could get never being to the store before. We drove two hours from north of Detroit so I had time to instruct them on what to look for as one is more into plastic guns (AR15) and the other shotguns (although he has a sweet 1903a3 given to him from this grandfather who served during WWII). While waiting I got some great help from a local gentleman that gave good advice on what to do after we told him what we were looking for. Funny how small the North store seems after looking at some posted pictures here earlier. About ten individuals came in when the store opened up but most everyone else went to the SA SG section.

Well to say the least my head was spinning but I remembered how to read and found the HRA SA rack. Both sides of a rack were full of HRA SG's. I think I must have been excited as I had a rifle in each one of my three hands, when I started looking (seemed like it anyway). I was looking for the right stock for the given serial number and hopefully a LMR barrel (none found) with low as you go ME and TE. We ended up with two rifles. The first rifle we took home was the forth rifle we broke down at the counter, it had a HRA trigger group and it turned out everything else HRA except the front sight with a ME of 1 and a TE of 2+. The stock (very dark walnut) had some character from bumps and bruises but it also had the right DOD 1/2 stamp and circled P SR# 5659xxx. I wish I could remember the gentleman's name who was introduced to us as the Garand Guru, when he pulled the trigger assembly out and looked at the rifle again he seemed a little amazed and said we were basically getting a correct grade (G2) with this one.

The second rifle was SN#5511xxx with a very nice correct dark walnut stock and 3/8 DOD and circled P. ME 1+ TE 2+ (both measurements looked the same as the HRA above to me). The only thing this one did not have was a correct trigger group. But, I found the trigger group to be almost 100% correct for an early SA so at least we have something to push against the cost of a correct HRA trigger group for the second rifle to become a G2.

I guess the fun will start this weekend as we move into clean up mode on these two beauties. We also picked up 100 rounds of loose ammo, slings, a bad A$$ WWII bayonet and 25 empty 50 ammo cans. Can't wait to go back.
Into the Sun...

I see that you made it to the North Store today and noted that your from Lake Orion. I'm in Clarkston and I'm headed there tomorrow am to look over the treasures you may have left behind. Enjoy your selections......

Barry
Old 01-04-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by into the sun View Post

Welcome to the forums. Thanks for posting!

Sounds like you got some NICE HRA Garands! Congrats!

All Garands are great, period.

The HRAs are almost as rare as the IHCs, and more rare than the WRAs. They seem to be under-appreciated right now. Once the CMP runs out of them, their prices will surely increase. (Shouldn't the average HRA price be relative to its rarity? More scarce than a Winchester, almost as hard to find as an Int'l Harvester, and ten times more rare than an SA?)

Well, you picked a couple winners. Please post pictures when you have time.

So, about all those .50 cal ammo cans. Are your kids building a fort?

Old 01-04-2012, 09:15 PM

BIGCMPFAN - The boys said it would be a good idea to put the ammo we had in boxes in the .50 cal cans. At $5 ea who is to argue. I sure have enough .223 (in the safe) to fill up a few. The 25 ammo cans and rifle cases fit in the trunk of a Chrysler 300, amazing.

Last edited by into the sun; 01-04-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:21 PM

In to the sun. I see your from lake orion, im in pontiac right by the silver dome. David
Old 01-06-2012, 11:26 PM

David, Hi, nice to know fellow M1 fans live in the area. Roger