Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2012, 05:51 PM

Default Ns 01/11/2011

I ran up to the North Store on Saturday at the end of the day (3pm) and the SA SG racks were pretty well picked over so I did not get anything. This week I am in the Sandusky area so at lunch time I ran over to the NS again. Today only one side of a rack had SA SGs and that side was almost half empty at noon. There were three sides of racks with HRA SGs. And I guess this morning there were about 10 people waiting in line for the store to open and they bought some rifles.

Concerning the SA SGs, about half of the ones left did not have USGI wood. The ones without USGI wood were actually in good shape from a metal point of view. Some had the orange wood like in the past. Concerning the HRA SGs, I think they all had USGI wood. A couple of stocks had been sanded so no cartouches or P stamps but rest of the HRA SGs had either HRA or SA stocks on them. One thing I have noticed over the last year is the muzzle wear on the HRAs is rarely under 1 and usually between 1 and 2 as indicated by a 1+ on the tag. Maybe that is normal for HRAs. The SA SGs tend to have more rifles with muzzles less than 1, in general. It does not matter if it is the SG, SG Special, or Correct, they all seem to follow that pattern, in my opinion.

I was looking closely at a couple of HRA SGs that were slightly over 1 on the muzzle (1+) and 2+ on TE and they had HRA stocks, but I just could not pull the trigger and went home without them. I guess I am starting to be a little more picky. Don't get be wrong, they were nice rifles but I am trying to be a little more tight with the budget this year.

Everything else in the store is pretty much unchanged. M1Ds in all grades, a few NM, a rack of M1Cs, a rack of SA and HRA corrects, a rack of HRA and SA SG Specials, Winchester FGs on the back wall, some SA Specials, some HRA FGs.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:38 PM

Thanks Abeal for the report. Did you happen to look at the 1917s? Thanks for any information you can provide.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:34 PM

Abeal:
How did the National Match rifles look?

Mostly service or rack grade?

Do you remember pricing?

Thanks

John
Old 01-11-2012, 07:40 PM

...No pictures? I always look forward to your posts because you take such good detailed shots of the rifles.

Fortes Fortuna juvat

2nd Bn, 3rd Marines

Buy now worry about later, later.--Bob Moore, 12/10

My feedback thread http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ghlight=dstout 50+ positives before it was destroyed
Old 01-11-2012, 07:47 PM

I was there today also. i did find 1 SG HRA with a NM op rod but it had a SA bolt and the stock was pretty rough compared to the many others to choose from.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:51 PM

I did not look at the 1917s today but took a brief look at them on Saturday. Most of them had tags that said no headspace. Some looked ok cosmetically but I did not look at the barrels. A few were rusty on the exterior. What do you do with one that says no headspace?

Concerning the NM match rifles, there are probably no more than 7-10 in the racks. I think three were service grades and I think the others were rack grades but I can't be certain. Prices ranges from $1500 to $2500. I bet some of them have been there for over a year.

Sorry, I left my camera at home so no pictures.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:35 PM

How did the WRA FG's look? Did you inspect any of those?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:21 AM

[QUOTE=abeal;504637]I did not look at the 1917s today but took a brief look at them on Saturday. Most of them had tags that said no headspace. Some looked ok cosmetically but I did not look at the barrels. A few were rusty on the exterior. What do you do with one that says no headspace?

abeal headspace is above my pay grade. Assume I would have to replace the barrel and I can find that option locally. After passing on the many beautiful examples Oct 5th (decision haunted me the entire trip home) I don't think a handpicked CMP 1917 is my future. When I read the NS had another shipment I began planning a trip. Unfortunately the work comp ortho surgeon didn't think a gun purchase trip was worth postponing my knee surgery. So here I set again 17less I should survive though.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:46 PM

I looked at the Winchester FGs on the back wall. Nothing unusual in the racks. Same stuff that has been there a while. I would have bought one if I had found something different like a WIN-13 or something like that.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Banned

Default First Garand - north store stock

I was going to make air trip from Calif. to the north store to pick out an HRA CG and SA SG but I'm afraid of getting there and finding the store stock picked over.

Can anyone tell me if there is any sort of weekly or monthly schedule to the north store re-filling the racks with new stock?

Thanks.