Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenceNEoHIO View Post
Akron/Canton area here too. Heading up to the NS tomorrow morning. Hope the racks are full. Really hoping to find a tiger striped stock SG.
You should definitely have the place to yourself tomorrow

Sorry as stated earlier recovering from surgery and sitting here in my legal narcotic induced coma thinking tomorrow was Sunday.

Last edited by SMOKEDIVER36; 01-13-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:15 PM

I was at a computer conference at the Kalahari in Sandusky this week so that is why I could sneak over during lunch. Today I figured hardly anyone would be there so the racks would not be as picked over at lunch time, like they were on Wednesday.

You could say I went from the Geek fest to the Greek fest.

Last edited by abeal; 01-13-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:23 PM

Oh, I almost forgot. There were three HRA SGs with LMR barrels. All were around 2 with muzzle erosion so I passed. One had the black Greek park. The SA SGs were all good. About 5 have Orange birch stocks. Most of the HRA SGs have USGI stocks. Most of the HRAs are 5.5m and 5.6m rifles but today I saw a couple of 4.75m, 4.76m, and 4.79m rifles. Looking for a 4.66 HRA but I have never seen one at the North Store. Some of the HRA SGs had SA barrels and they gauged around 1 on the muzzle, so make sure you look.

There is one Mossberg M44 in the racks and one Stevens .22. One of them was missing the front sight but do not remember which. Both are worn. They have a few Gamo air rifles but those things have lots of wear. Box of Garand slings and the few I looked at had black metal - must be Greek. I don't think all the slings are Greek but I really did not look.

If you have to be at Camp Perry on Saturday, go over and check out the indoor air rifle range. Very impressive and there should be a lot of people there.

Last edited by abeal; 01-13-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:47 PM

Do they still have a handful of Garand drill rifles on the back wall?
Old 01-13-2012, 09:51 PM

I believe they had a few last Saturday
Old 01-13-2012, 11:13 PM

Inspected the rifles tonight. The HRA has a post war SA bolt, SA op rod, SA gas plug, and SA trigger assembly. The SA has a HRA bolt. HRA op rod, HRA gas plug, and HRA trigger assembly. They both have HRA stocks. Not sure about gas cylinders and front sights. Obviously, I will be swapping parts. Will try to take pictures tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Banned

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions Gman1108 and stu929,

I like the idea of hand-picking an HRA CG and SA SG but wonder about the extra expense to make a trip from Calif., even though I have a Southwest free round trip. The thought of waiting at the front door (like rock concert enthusiasts), then "running" to the rifle racks to inspect them and choose is not that appealing.

- Am I too worried about receiving rifles chosen and shipped by the store staff?

- Would a "sticky" note attached to a mail order be effective in getting the staff to choose rifles based on appearance or wear measurements?

- If the NS is routinely picked over by mid0morning each day, what time of the day would a staff member pick out my (2) rifles?

- Do the staff pick out mail order rifles from the racks on the store floor or do they have a separate non-store-customer stock to choose from?

I'd love to get some more first hand accounts or advice from Garand owners that have been in my position. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:10 AM
Banned

P.S. - A week ago I was all pumnped up about getting a couple of Garands but now find myself inclined to spend my money elsewhere. The ever-reducing availability of Garand-ready .30-06 ammo and its ever-increasing cost are factors.

Pump me back up!
Old 01-14-2012, 01:00 AM

adjustable gas plug takes care of the ammo issue
Old 01-14-2012, 07:59 AM

Reload! I'm getting it done for .25/rd for fmj & pulled M118 bullet stuff, .39 for loads with AMAX.