Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2012, 09:43 PM

Default Planning on a drive to NS Saturday 1/28

Hello all!
I'm new to the forums and plan on making the drive from Buffalo to the North Store on Saturday. I want to make sure that all my ducks are in a row before I go.
-GCA membership card
-Birth Certificate
-An old shooting award from Boy Scout camp (qualify for shooting activity?)
-Money

I have a budget of $1,000. I am fairly sure that I would like to pick up a Service Grade, and some ammo.

Anyone know if the loose ammo is all boxer primed? Chances of getting corrosive ammo?
Thoughts, suggestions and comments are very welcome.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:48 PM

Boxer primed and noncorrosive ammo. Not sure about the Scout Camp shooting award....
USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell
Old 01-24-2012, 12:56 AM

Thanks!

Maybe I should bring my (2008) NYS Pistol permit course completion certificate as well?
Old 01-24-2012, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshift82 View Post
Thanks!

Maybe I should bring my (2008) NYS Pistol permit course completion certificate as well?

Can't hurt to bring a copy of it along. That should work. Every time I go I take copies of everything, "just in case". Maybe I'm paranoid.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:33 AM

From the Sales Page:

Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity: You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:
  • Current or past military service.
  • Current or past law enforcement service
  • Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
  • Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
  • Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status. - Concealed Carry License.
  • Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training. - FFL or C&R license.
  • Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
  • Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/forms/marksmanship.pdf
No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. Proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages. NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshift82 View Post
I have a budget of $1,000. I am fairly sure that I would like to pick up a Service Grade, and some ammo.

Thoughts, suggestions and comments are very welcome.
Welcome! The first thing you need to do is forget about a "budget". You'll want to spend more than you bring, guaranteed, so keep the credit card handy.

A note about the Service Grades - I stopped up for a quick visit this morning, and there were only ten or so HRA Service Grades left in the rack; three or four of these were pretty nice. There were no SA Service Grades to be found. There may be more in the back to put out in racks, but I suspect the last batch of high quality Service Grades is just about gone.

I would recommend, if you can stretch your budget, that you consider a Correct Grade. There were plenty of those, both HRA and SA, and they were excepetionally nice.

When you enter the Store, stop by the counter first thing and tell the guys you are buying your first M1. One of them will help you pick out a rifle, and you'll get a better idea of what to look for on your next visit (yes, you'll be back).

When you get home with your treasures, post up some pictures. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2012, 12:16 AM

Well I'll just wait for next weekend. Maybe with the beginning of a new month there might be a new batch of service grades?
Old 01-28-2012, 01:07 AM

I brought my dd214 to the N Store, and they still asked for proof of marksmanship. I guess being an 11B wasn't enough.
Luckily, I brought a whole folder of docs, and one of them was a rifle qualification score card. YMMV
Old 01-28-2012, 12:32 PM

You may as well bump the limit up on your credit card too.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:02 PM

Send a message via ICQ to bkavanaugh

What if you are an existing CMP customer and have purchased through their auction? Do you still need to bring any documentation with you, or will it already be on file? I won an M1A1 last spring and I was thinking of maybe taking my first trip to the SS in a month or two to pick up either a Winchester or SA. Do you still need to bring all of your documents with you?