Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2018, 07:16 AM

I don't think we should be "afraid" of the new information, whether it contradicts what we have thought true in the past or not. It interests me greatly to find out many new facets about the Battle of Midway and other WWII battles that have come out.

If it changes our perceptions, so be it! I congratulate Steve and Andrew and all the work they have done!
Old 04-16-2018, 08:12 PM

Is that a 1917 bolt handle on a 1903 bolt?? Interesting---never heard of this, but no reason it would not work. Be cool to make up one for the vintage sniper rifle match, if it were to be allowed.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polock View Post
Is that a 1917 bolt handle on a 1903 bolt?? Interesting---never heard of this, but no reason it would not work. Be cool to make up one for the vintage sniper rifle match, if it were to be allowed.
Yeah, wild huh? Look at how much they had to cut that stock to get clearance for that bolt handle.

It's sort of interesting too, because the Marines were never really that fond of the M1917 rifles. And the few they did get in WWI, had all been turned back in by 1920 I believe. Without pulling the document, I think it is dated 1920, and they were confirming all received from the Army in WWI had been turned back in by that date.

I sort of like the one pic of the lyman 48 from the rear, being used as the micrometer. It not super clean but it almost looks like a tall Marine sight cover, and it also appears the stock and handguard are sporterized. It looks like they cut off all wood forward of the band.

Just complete Bannerman type rifles. In fact I almost guarantee it, if these rifles still exist today, someone would call them a Bannerman.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:57 PM

So what’s that serial number? 1199778?

Steve, I thought the Marines had 1917s for training during wwii?

My Feedback thread

Looking for SA M1 2417731 - its out there, the CMP sold it in 2012!
Old 04-16-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSpecial View Post
So what’s that serial number? 1199778?

Steve, I thought the Marines had 1917s for training during wwii?
I've read that in books, and I think I've seen it mentioned online before. Heck at one time I probably believed it before I saw the Marine documents.

But no they turned them all in about 1920, and there is no evidence of them receiving any in WWII. Or honestly anytime after 1920.

Now in WWI, that was one of the main purposes of them receiving them, they were used for training. I think it specifically states they went to Parris Island. But I would have to read the M1917 docs again. It's been a long time since I read them. But they had received something like 4000 I believe for training, and then there is a mention too of a small additional mount going overseas with the Marines, but that is highly contested by WWI Marine historians. And I haven't read that string of documents in so long I won't comment for sure on that.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:13 PM

The only thing used in WWII for the Marines in boot camp/training were the M1903's and Garands.

Oh and sticks. lol No joke a big stick off a tree. The Marines were expanding so fast in 1942 that the Army couldn't supply them enough M1's, and the Marines were running out of M1903's. So the Marines received a huge shipment of M1903's off the Navy. But there were still shortages.

The forming 3rd Marine Division is mentioned in the documents that they do not have enough rifles to train with, so they are training with sticks, pretending they are rifles. lol

And the insult to injury, they state they don't even have enough sticks! lol
Old 04-16-2018, 09:14 PM

And yes the serial looks to be 1199778. I wonder if it still exists somewhere? Probably thought to be a bubba special if it does.

My hunch is, that it was a NM before it got worked over. Because that is such a weird serial range for a Marine rifle.

Last edited by cplnorton; 04-16-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post

If it changes our perceptions, so be it! I congratulate Steve and Andrew and all the work they have done!

Thank you sir!
Old 04-17-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
Thank you sir!
"Don't call me 'Sir', I work for a living [or did!]" LOL!!