Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > EIC Pistol
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2017, 02:25 AM

Default HK P7 - any reason why it's not on the list?

I hear good things about them.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:03 AM

I shot one of these a long time ago. The cocking lever feature is a pain. At 50 feet it kept the rounds on paper, but that's about it. And for the price tag, you could buy 2 or 3 Springfield Range Officers.

There are over 100 pistols on the list the CMP generated; lots of choices but the HK P7 should not be one of them.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:15 PM

There is definitely a learning curve in shooting the P7. Once that is accomplished, they are tack drivers.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:53 PM

I've shot one alot...... great pistol!
It does have some unique qualities though...........

CDRT: The lever is cammed. Once cocked you can release your grip to a "normal" one and shoot very accurately.

OP: My guess is they picked the most common pistols to look at. That said, it does have a short barrel and sight radius......... it might be a challenge at 50yds.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:54 PM

Lazy:

Shoot yours and give us a test/evaluation .................!!
Old 01-13-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
That said, it does have a short barrel and sight radius......... it might be a challenge at 50yds.
My point exactly, even though I did not fully explain. A short barreled 9mm is not going to fair well at 50 yards.

There are lots of pistols on the list. Some will do well and some will do poorly. I would be one happy camper, if I were chasing leg points and showed up at a match where everyone else was shooting a P7 and I had my 1911 or M9.

I don't think the OP has one; it was more of a why is it not on the list. As a match director, my feeling is, they have enough on the list now, that we need to keep track of when weighing triggers, etc.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:06 PM

My comments were hoping to get the OP out shooting is all.......
Instead of talking about shooting............GO Shoot!

Speaking of that.............. next time I'm pistol target shooting, I should give my P7 a try......................
Old 01-14-2017, 05:40 PM

My big concern is, that guys are handicapping themselves from the start by choosing a pistol that will probably not do well on the 50 yard line.

There are two main hurdles they need to overcome to do well on the National Match course.

The first is the cut at 250 to even get points.

The second is the 50 yard slow fire. To get to 250, you need to break or get close to 90 on the slow fire. If you can't do that, you will probably not do well on the timed and rapid stages.

The CMP (and I know why they added all the pistols) really did a disservice to new shooters, who do not regularly shoot Bullseye matches, by giving them way too many choices for an EIC pistol.

Last edited by CDRT; 01-14-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRT View Post
My point exactly, even though I did not fully explain. A short barreled 9mm is not going to fair well at 50 yards.

Short barrel, but fixed; part of the frame. Always made it the most accurate pistol I have owned (w/o ever owning a match-conditioned pistol). Trigger is great, too.

Now, I HAFTA try this at 50yds!

EDIT: This was the pistol issues to NJ (State?) Police for many years...so I can see the justification....every other service pistol made the list.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham_Chu View Post
Short barrel, but fixed; part of the frame. Always made it the most accurate pistol I have owned (w/o ever owning a match-conditioned pistol). Trigger is great, too.

Now, I HAFTA try this at 50yds!

EDIT: This was the pistol issues to NJ (State?) Police for many years...so I can see the justification....every other service pistol made the list.
By all means, ask the CMP and they will probably add it to the list next year. That's how the other ones got on here.