Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2011, 04:55 PM

Default Krag Cutdown "X"

I finally had the chance to take my little Krag out for some photos. She's a grade X from the NS, listed as a 'cut down' on the hang tag. Missing the handguard and rear sight when I picked it up, but otherwise intact and actually pretty cute!

Whoever did the smithing work on this rifle did a very good job. The front sight appears to be an original Krag (marked with a tiny C?), barrel was turned for a bayonet...but when the stock was shortened the bayonet lug was omitted, so who knows why? The sling swivels were intentially removed--the front band doesn't have a place for one and the rear was taken off long ago.

The stock is solid, if a little beat up, with a sharp 1901 cartouche and P with a little 50 up above that--not sure what that means, if anything. Little S on the top of the buttplate.

Finish is GREAT for a ninety year old milsurp, with only a few very light pits under the handguard. A fellow forum member helped with the handguard and a 1901 sight. The 'muzzle,' such as it is, reads about 2, and the bore and rifling are good.

I'm into her right around $600 all told. Maybe not a homerun price, but I'm very pleased to have salvaged another bit of history.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:57 PM

Old 06-07-2011, 04:58 PM

Old 06-07-2011, 05:06 PM
CMP Master Instructor

I swear that looks like an 1899 carbine stock and barrel band. All Krag rifles were inletted for the lower swivel; which I don't see. All I see is two screw holes. You may have done better than you thought.

Last edited by RetiredArmy; 06-07-2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: added words
Old 06-07-2011, 05:35 PM

Wow, if wood could talk, the stories that one would tell...

Very nice.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:08 PM

Note the "turned" muzzle - that Krag might have been adapted as a "school gun" originally at W. Stokes Kirk or some other firm. The rifle is definitely made from a Model 1898 rifle, not an 1899 carbine, like the true "school guns were made.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:12 PM

Neat to imagine what young cadets that might have trained with it before two World Wars.

Last edited by ShaveTail; 06-07-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:30 PM
CMP Master Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
Note the "turned" muzzle - that Krag might have been adapted as a "school gun" originally at W. Stokes Kirk or some other firm. The rifle is definitely made from a Model 1898 rifle, not an 1899 carbine, like the true "school guns were made.
I am thinking many of the veteran organizations did their own mods including turning the muzzle down to accept the bayonet.
Deffinately; all the chroming.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:01 PM

Sure looks like a 1899 carbine sotck. The barrel may be a carbine barrel. The receiver is to high of a serial to have been a carbine. A parts gun. You really should replace that sideplate to get rid of the ugly screw in it that screw should prevent feeding live rounds. It also looks like the feed lips of the receiver were ground to feed blanks.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRBECKER View Post
Sure looks like a 1899 carbine sotck. The barrel may be a carbine barrel. The receiver is to high of a serial to have been a carbine. A parts gun. You really should replace that sideplate to get rid of the ugly screw in it that screw should prevent feeding live rounds. It also looks like the feed lips of the receiver were ground to feed blanks.
That's the brass plate inside, correct? Do you reckon that the alterations will pose a problem (for safety, feeding, or otherwise) to shooting?