Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2018, 04:08 PM

Default Springfield 1903 Barrel Marking

I bought a very low numbered (285XXX) Springfield 1903 rifle years ago with what I thought was a barrel dated 11-11. I have never shot it and I was thinking of selling it and took some pictures of it to add to the for sale add. I then added some baby powder to the markings and took some macro pictures of the markings to make them stand out. When looked at the pictures I saw that the date looks more like 11-41. But the 4 is faded real bad and the 1 next to the 4 is a different font than the month markings of 11. So why are the stampings not the same?

Old 01-15-2018, 05:30 PM

Have to wait for J.B. to check in.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:36 PM

Had to be a rebuild. Don't think a 285xxx could have a Scant on it without rebuild.
JB can check his data.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:03 PM

The barrel is indeed an authentic S.A./11-41 barrel. Those first-month-production barrels are very uncommon. And it's not unusual to see it in an overhauled low number rifle. That was about the time the Army revoked the order to scrap low number receivers.

The marking die had a slot in it for inserting the numbers. I have the die. So it's not uncommon to see different fonts on the digits.

The roll stamping press applied a constant pressure on the die. So when the Ordnance Bomb rolled down, it was not uncommon to see the digits get thin, lift up, or be half-stamped.

Thanks for sharing!

J.B.

Last edited by John Beard; 01-15-2018 at 10:07 PM.