I'm looking at a 1903 which I believe is a USMC, here's what I can see:

Springfield receiver #981181
Checkered buttplate (not stippled)
Hatcher hole
Cut off marked R
Barrel is USMC 9-42 with circled S
Stock is scant 2 bolt
The sight base is a yellowish straw color

I don't see (in the pictures) the serial number engraved on the bolt.

Would anyone have any serial number record info to help me confirm?

I appreciate any assistance
Seasons' Greetings!

Based on your description, the rifle is a USMC rifle with very high probability.

Happy New Year!

J.B.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:05 PM

I finally got it touch with the seller who tells me that there is what appears to be either a number 2 or upside down 7 on the right hand side (muzzle straight forward) of the front sight blade. He couldnít tell for certain what the number is but itís there. There is no electric pencil serial on bolt. Would this number be another positive indication of USMC?
Old 01-15-2018, 08:20 PM

Numbered front sight blades are known to be common on Marine rebuilds. It should be a two digit number though.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:46 PM

Thank you. Iíll ask for a photo.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:55 PM

Like this

https://imgur.com/a/UjpoB
Old 01-15-2018, 10:37 PM

The number logman is referring to is I think the number “2” located on the right side of the base. Kaliman is talking about the decimal and two digits indicating sight height. Those numbers are on the left side of the front sight blade.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logman View Post
I finally got it touch with the seller who tells me that there is what appears to be either a number 2 or upside down 7 on the right hand side (muzzle straight forward) of the front sight blade. He couldnít tell for certain what the number is but itís there. There is no electric pencil serial on bolt. Would this number be another positive indication of USMC?
Not that I am aware of. The number "2" might appear on some USMC front sight movable studs, but the marking is by no means exclusive to the USMC.

J.B.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:50 PM

I have located another possibility I'm considering, its Springfield 1279983, 8/41 USMC barrel mounted in 2 bolt C-Stock, no Hatcher hole. Still trying to obtain additional information from seller. Does this serial pop up on any lists anyone has ? Also, I know that most had Hatcher holes but some may not, any thoughts regarding. As always, your help is appreciated.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logman View Post
I have located another possibility I'm considering, its Springfield 1279983, 8/41 USMC barrel mounted in 2 bolt C-Stock, no Hatcher hole. Still trying to obtain additional information from seller. Does this serial pop up on any lists anyone has ? Also, I know that most had Hatcher holes but some may not, any thoughts regarding. As always, your help is appreciated.
A 1.279 is not a very good Marine serial range. I've never seen one around that, and I double checked the SRS and new serials we have pulled and don't have anything close that is Marine.

A 8/41 Sedgley is for sure a barrel that could have been on a Marine 1903. Unlike the later Sedgley barrels.

But the lack of a hatcher hole is a fuzz concerning. They started to add the Hatcher in every receiver during rebuild post late 1938.

Does the barrel have the Marine Vise Marks? I sort of have a hunch it might not.

When you read the way the Marines acquired M1903's post 1919. A 1.27 just isn't that likely. But the Marines did receive a huge bunch of M1903 rifles that needed rebuild in 1942 from the Navy. So there is always the possibility odd serial ranges ended up in the Marines, because they were Navy rifles first.

I've seen Marine rifles that I don't question as being Marine with WWII barrel dates, that have no Hatcher, but they are sort of rare. Usually when you find a WWII era Marine rebuild rifle, it would have had a hatcher, vise marks on the barrel, and a serialed bolt with an enlarged gas hole. Bolts are easy to swap. But the rest isn't.

Anything is possible, but I do have some concerns on this rifle just hearing the serial range and no Hatcher hole. And I have a hunch it might not have vise marks either. As I've seen a few like this and they always sort of fall into that pattern.