Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2018, 04:36 AM

We finally got a couple of days of decent weather, so I plan on firing mine for the first time. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and using low pressure loads.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:20 AM

Good luck and hope it shoots well for you.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:27 AM

Best of luck Snuffy. I hope she does well for you. You work fast!
Old 01-10-2018, 09:23 AM

Hi Snuffy1a.

What barrel did you use? Original NOS or a new made Criterion? Did you buy or rent a chamber reamer?
Just to be safe,I wrapped the first build in old towels & a small piece of carpet, just to make sure "IF"some thing failed! I knelled behind the rifle, holding the back of the butt with one hand & pulled the trigger with a coat hanger.
I cleaned the barrel between each shot, then after the first 10 rounds, cleaned every two shots. I just did what some barrel makers recommended.

A worker at the CMP really scared me about rebuilding a drill rifle. But since I never saw a mention about a problem, I went ahead...
The guy really was VERY FIRM about the "danger" involved. I think it was a liability issue rather than a safety issue.

Of course some of the rifles are not fit to be rebuilt. Do to massive heat damage- poorly done welds or other issues.
In my case & hundreds of other rebuilds, we are safe & very happy with the results! As we all know all the A4 sniper repro rifles are ALL built on drill rifle receivers. The many builders are not going to do that lightly, do to the liability issues involved.

Good Luck in any event,
broom
Old 01-10-2018, 03:07 PM

I just got back from the range. All went well. I started off with my low pressure reloads. Found out they were going very low & left at 50 yards. After radically adjusting for windage & elevation, the shots started falling into place. I then switched to my high pressure Garand plinking rounds, adjusted for normal elevation & tweaked the windage, & the rounds grouped much better at 50 yards in the bullseye. As for the barrel, I purchased a slightly used Rem. 7/43 dated barrel. Recevr. seem to hold up fine. I disassembled the rifle and checked the action for any stress cracks. None were found.

Last edited by snuffy1a; 01-10-2018 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Added comments.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:14 PM

Excellente!
Old 01-10-2018, 04:09 PM

Hi Snuffy1a

SUPER! I hope it works a well for you! How about pictures of the finished rifle ?

Is your barrel free floating or just resting with some pressure on the stock fore-end?
I'm asking because (in my case)the SC was free floating & the Remington had some up pressure . The Remington (NOS barrel) shot a tad better groups, so I shimmed the SC stock (new CMP barrel) with a folded (two layers) business card.
It shot a tighter group!

I had asked about this issue when I started shooting the rifles. The standard reply is each rifle is different & we just have to take the time to sort it out.

Enjoy every day,
broom
Old 01-10-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy1a View Post
I just got back from the range. All went well. I started off with my low pressure reloads. Found out they were going very low & left at 50 yards. After radically adjusting for windage & elevation, the shots started falling into place. I then switched to my high pressure Garand plinking rounds, adjusted for normal elevation & tweaked the windage, & the rounds grouped much better at 50 yards in the bullseye. As for the barrel, I purchased a slightly used Rem. 7/43 dated barrel. Recevr. seem to hold up fine. I disassembled the rifle and checked the action for any stress cracks. None were found.
Snuffy, glad she shot well, and nothing bad happened. I think something would have to be seriously wrong for that to happen. As long as there are no cracks in the receiver anywhere, it should be ok. Funny that your windage and elevation were off so bad, because the rear sight on mine was very badly out of wack too. Had to readjust to where I think it should be, but won't really know until I get a barrel on and go shooting. Please post up some pics if you can. Would like to see the finished product!
Old 01-13-2018, 08:24 PM

UPDATE:

Just got the magazine cutoff lever cut free today with no damage whatsoever to the receiver. Got the bolt out, and all the parts with the exception of the striker, and of course the bolt body are re-usable. Very happy day indeed! Now, the barrel is next!
Old 01-13-2018, 08:59 PM

I may have missed it SA1941, what you doing for a barrel? Second range trip for us today. We are at 22rd total. Everything looks and works fine. Action screws need to be more tightened more frequently with this new stock. Happy so far. You have your vise and action wrench already?