Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2018, 10:17 AM

Default SA Only stamped on the bottom of receiver

Here's a new one to me. The SA Only. I thought about just emailing John and asking him, but figured others might be intrigued by this as well.

I think the C R I o I is probably cleaned and repaired 1940.

The rifle is a 1.49 with a 3/38 barrel. Hatcher hole and SPG stock with a S 0 inspector's code in the mag cuttoff on the stock. I think the 0 in the stock is for 1940 as Andrew found that doc at the archives.

But I would be curious on the SA Only. Figured John would chime in shortly.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
Here's a new one to me. The SA Only. I thought about just emailing John and asking him, but figured others might be intrigued by this as well.

I think the C R I o I is probably cleaned and repaired 1940.

The rifle is a 1.49 with a 3/38 barrel. Hatcher hole and SPG stock with a S 0 inspector's code in the mag cuttoff on the stock. I think the 0 in the stock is for 1940 as Andrew found that doc at the archives.

But I would be curious on the SA Only. Figured John would chime in shortly.

I don't think I found a document on the stock markings. Other than the inspector marks on Garands. not 03s.

The document I found was regarding C&R was "cleaned & repaired."
Old 01-16-2018, 01:36 PM

Here's my crackpot theory:

The FY38 SA annual report includes this listing in the research project section:

1938-21/1938-29 - Investigation of "Cranodine #101" process as a substitute for "Parkerize".

Google tells me this process was actually spelled Granodine ('G' not 'C'), and was developed the year before by a duPont subsidiary in UK.

What do I win?
Old 01-17-2018, 06:50 AM

Man could be. I wouldn't rule anything out anymore after some of the stuff I've seen in the docs.

You know you bring up an interesting point though. The Marines were involved with Dupont as well. They were conducting experiments at Dupont on re- heat treating both high and low number receivers.

The Marines had receivers of both high and low number that failed the rockewell harndness test and Dupont was trying to help them create a process to fix it.

That is the first mention I've seen of that finish though. That is neat.

I wonder now if Dupont has a archive dept? With both a Army and Marine presence now, might be some interesting info in there on other military stuff as well. Sometimes you can find some neat stuff in these archives, because no one has hit them.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:20 AM

Way back in the mid seventies, I picked-up a M1903A1 with the late SA made "C" stock. No record now of the s/n. It had "S.A. use only" stamped on the bottom of the receiver in the same location as the OP's... I always assumed it was slightly out of spec, but good enough for testing or modifying. May have gone to Raritan with all those '03 parts and was assembled as a rifle.