Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2018, 05:49 PM

Question Cartridges popping out of 1903A3

Few years back I picked up a 1903A3 locally. It came with a beat-up S-stock which I swapped out for a new CMP C-stock before ever firing it.

It sat around in my gun rack for quite some time before I got around to shooting it. Upon so doing, I discovered that once the magazine was loaded, the last (and sometimes second-to-last) shell would prematurely pop out. It didn't happen all the time, though. Taking a closer look at it now, the problem appears to be that if the cartridge is not seated all the way back towards the rear of the mag well, the follower will not hold the cartridge and it slips out. Comparing the follower to another one I have on a different rifle that works fine, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it.

Here's a pic (it it helps):

My initial thought was that the new stock could possibly be the cause of it, with binding or something. But I'm thinking now that I simply need a new mag spring as it appears that not enough pressure is being applied to the follower, especially on the forward end, causing the cartridge to disengage.

Thoughts?
Old 01-15-2018, 09:12 PM

Mine did the same thing. Replaced the mag spring like you are thinking.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:00 PM

Or, there is too much space created by the new stock between the receiver and magwell causing part of the follower to get hung up partially in between. That also is quite common though generally the whole follower gets hung up and fails to feed the last and or second to last round.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
Or, there is too much space created by the new stock between the receiver and magwell causing part of the follower to get hung up partially in between.
How does one recognize and/or address that issue if it is indeed the problem?

BTW, I don't think that is the problem here as the follower does not appear to get hung up anywhere, as it moves freely. But... would like to know what to look for.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:35 PM

Alls well that ends well. Took it apart and the mag spring looked just fine. I'm thinking that it was a stock issue, with the possibility that the new stock was indeed a bit, how do I say, not necessarily oversized, but in need of a bit compression. I'm thinking that since I installed the new stock and tightened the lug bolts, the wood needed a bit of compression in order to provide the proper clearance. I reinstalled the spring, follower and mag well, and made sure the lug bolts were tightened as much as they could be.

Tested it again with some dummy rounds, and the problem appears to have been resolved. All five rounds can be inserted into the mag, and then cycled through without any rounds "popping out."

Thanks!