Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVN 69-70 View Post
Well.....if I were fortunate enough to live 'closer' to Ala than you (Fla) I suspect I might enjoy the lazy, meandering drive to CMP to window shop and kill some time. Unfortunately, the 14 hr drive to window shop and kill some time IMHO, is not worth arriving to find nada, nothing, zip, nil, zero in the racks. I am certain that answering the phone does NOT put anyone 'out'. Heck....it probably wakes them up and gets them away from the donuts and BORING QUESTIONS being raised by those waundering thru the racks etc.

Those who post here IS a nice jesture but not all reports are UP TO DATE....some can be a week old. Here is a great idea: Why don't YOU visit CMP EVERY OPEN DAY and post a rough idea of what is available. I am sure the staff there would appreciate that and I am sure many of us would. But then I suspect some would still call instead so...

Normally I don't waste gas driving 730 miles to find nothing....a phone call will do for me. Now.....that's JMHO. Good day ya'll
It took about 10hrs to drive up to the south store, so it was not a thing to just go do. I read the reports, and took a chance. As for reports being a week old, well that is why people post the date the report is for. Looking back at all the posts, I would venture to say in the last year only a few days that the CMP was open, there was no report, so again you argument about store reports not being available or up date does not hold much water. Besides your one call, though it may only be a minute, they get a lot of them. As I said before, over 20 calls in about an hour, so that makes for a few hours a day just answering the same question that could have been answered by reading it here.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVN 69-70 View Post
Well.....if I were fortunate enough to live 'closer' to Ala than you (Fla) I suspect I might enjoy the lazy, meandering drive to CMP to window shop and kill some time. Unfortunately, the 14 hr drive to window shop and kill some time IMHO, is not worth arriving to find nada, nothing, zip, nil, zero in the racks. I am certain that answering the phone does NOT put anyone 'out'. Heck....it probably wakes them up and gets them away from the donuts and BORING QUESTIONS being raised by those waundering thru the racks etc.

Those who post here IS a nice jesture but not all reports are UP TO DATE....some can be a week old. Here is a great idea: Why don't YOU visit CMP EVERY OPEN DAY and post a rough idea of what is available. I am sure the staff there would appreciate that and I am sure many of us would. But then I suspect some would still call instead so...

Normally I don't waste gas driving 730 miles to find nothing....a phone call will do for me. Now.....that's JMHO. Good day ya'll
Only 730 miles, that's closer than I am in Florida. Florida is like Texas, If you have a CDL by the time your time is up, you'll still be in Florida.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:32 PM

If they really didn't want people calling then they would place a new message on the system that would include, inventory, weather, etc. Its not like this would be a hard thing to accomplish. If I take a drive 4.5 hrs again to the North store your damn right I'm going to call late the night before.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:05 PM

Junior, Pee-Wee, and George Ball all used to say to call ahead and they'd be glad to tell people what's up, and they were all sincere and friendly. Bob and the current staff are cut from the same mold, although with perhaps a lot less to talk about most days.

I know darn well many privileged locals who live close by always seem to know what's there, when some special stuff is due to hit the store, and therefore when to make appearances very early and often before opening to get in line...., so why shouldn't someone who lives 4 or 10+ hours away try to get a smidgen of future info?

Of course, there is always some chance you are taking when driving there. But the CMP Store IS a business, so I think they should in fact have a certain motivation and yes, an obligation to take calls from customers who are asking what they will have to offer.

Last edited by TSimonetti; 03-31-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:29 AM

Default call first

Call them. That's why they have a phone and a direct line. Ask reasonable questions and you'll get reasonable answers...don't expect them to know every particular serial number in the store but they know what inventory they have. They are a great staff and always very helpful.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:37 PM

Sometimes the best time to go is a day or two after a new supply arrives, assuming it is not all sold the first day. And it is unusual to sell everything the first day. They usually do not put everything or the best out the first day after a truck arrives. They intentionally hold back so others can partak in subsequent days. I have found the best stuff when the least amount of people are there. Usually there is something to buy.

For me, I never call ahead. I only go by the reports of others.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:42 PM

I've got some cash set aside for the chance of a random Winchester FG finding its way to the North Store. I live close, so I stop by often, its sorta like waiting for Christmas as a kid!
Old 04-02-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwcritch View Post
Why in the world would you call? There are store reports posted up almost everyday they are open. When I was at the South Store a week ago, they answered the phone to the same line of questions about 20 times, and I was only there for about an hour maybe a little longer. This is a huge waste of their time, not to mention this then wastes the time of those who are actually there waiting to ask question or get their paperwork started. Not to mention if they called before going up a few days before, the inventory can change by the time they get there, and if they are close enough that the inventory would have not changed, then drive over and see for your self. Either way, don't call and waste their time, read store reports or just take the gamble and drive over.
Alternatively, just call before you go.

See - isn't that easier. Now you can give up on trying to control everyone else's lives.

"Life is Good!"

PS - I call before I go, and I live about two hours away from the South Store. It is what makes sense.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:58 AM

Never answer phone or I have wrong number.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandofM1 View Post
Never answer phone or I have wrong number.
(419) 635-2141 extension 1505