Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2019, 07:37 AM

Default Why not reflector spotting scopes?

Im researching for a new spotting scope. I already have and am fairly happy with my Celestron Ultimate 80 but I could use something more compact for traveling. I see some reflector spotting scopes from Celestron and Burris with objective lenses from 70-90mm. Will these be good for spotting to 300yds as my Ultimate 80? Does anyone use these scopes? If not whats the problem? Id like to be under$200
Old 06-07-2019, 07:55 AM

see this article
https://targetcrazy.com/optics/optic...-vs-telescope/
Old 06-07-2019, 08:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

I had a Celestron C90 "spotting scope." It was junk, with the mirror out of alignment and non adjustable.

Note: I also have Celestron 8" astro reflector, which is an excellent optic. Fully adjustable, as are all good quality astro scopes. With an image erector, it would make a good (but very large) spotting scope. It is also expensive.

I also have used a Meade 4" Maksutov reflector as a spotting scope. It worked fine, with an image erector.

Astro scopes adjust power by changing eyepieces. You also need an image erector, or else your sight adjustments will drive you to the madhouse.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 06-07-2019, 10:50 AM

I had a Meade ETX90 and it was a decent portable scope for astronomy. I never used it as a spotting scope, but I think it would have worked fine with the right attachments. They can be removed from the mount easily and attached to any tripod or scope stand. The downside is that they are not waterproof or fogproof. Sometimes you can find them in a thrift store or on Goodwill's auction page pretty cheap.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyM1 View Post
I had a Meade ETX90 and it was a decent portable scope for astronomy. I never used it as a spotting scope, but I think it would have worked fine with the right attachments. They can be removed from the mount easily and attached to any tripod or scope stand. The downside is that they are not waterproof or fogproof. Sometimes you can find them in a thrift store or on Goodwill's auction page pretty cheap.
My scope is an ETX90. All you say is correct. Look for an older one with a metal tube.

Remember you have to have eyepieces and an image erector.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 06-07-2019, 12:07 PM

you get what you pay for