Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2018, 10:30 AM

Default My DPD Inland

I dare say no M1 Carbine ever made was used in more conflicts and in more countries than my DPD Inland. WWII, Korea, China in the mid 50's, Detroit Police Department (Riots of 1967) and finally still working on my farm every day. I carry it on my 4 wheeler and eliminate Muskrats, Beavers, Yotes and a occasional Bobcat. It's the most accurate Carbine I have ever fired with a ME of 1.3. I own 10 carbines including 2 very rare Paratroopers and the DPD is still my favorite. I paid $400 for this rifle 15 years ago and consider it priceless. Precinct 7, Rack #18 DPD SN 14267, US SN 5077355. I contacted the DPD about it's history and never got a response. The other data gathered from the National Archives.

Last edited by sakorick; 06-13-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:54 AM

Very nice . My Wife keeps her Rock-Ola clean,oiled,and ready when ever we drive through the ranch checking on the animals . She is a crack shot with it . Bob
Old 06-12-2018, 12:57 PM

Smile Dpd inland

As a 35 year veteran of the Dallas Police Dept. I know that in 1970 I was assigned to the quartermaster unit waiting for my recruit class to start. We had a large stock of milsurp weapons. including M1 carbines,30/40 kraigs Thomson subs. and more. They were all stamped DPD. But that was a long time ago. I have no idea what happened to them or who you would contact for more research. Love my inland also. it was a gift from my Dad. thanks for the memory Jim:
Old 06-12-2018, 02:07 PM

Great carbine story, with pictures. More folks should profile a favorite carbine or two of theirs.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:11 PM

Default Carbine Detroit Cop privately owned

I had an Inland M1 Carbine that belonged to a Detroit PD Officer back in the day. He stuck around the Dept so long that they forced him out after he passed 81years of age and was still an active officer.

DCM carbine ($20) went along on patrol with Bob many times and a bare spot on the barrel attested to that since the finish was gone just in front of the type 3 barrel band, where he picked it up out of his locker.

Once he responded to a call of a hostage situation, along with other offricers, where a man was holding a hostage. At the end of negotiations the offender came out the back door on the second floor holding a mattress as a shield and firing a pistol around the side.

Quick (2) shots from Bob and his Inland proved capable of going thru a mattress and ending for good the bad guys bad behavior.

Sadly for me, I passed the carbine on to a young carbine lover to help him get his collection started.. I did retain the only magazine Bob had as it was too rusty to work.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:39 PM

The 7th Precinct includes part of downtown Detroit. Belle Isle is part of the 7th Precint. That was sort of an action packed area. http://www.detroitmi.gov/How-Do-I/Find/Police-Precincts
Old 06-13-2018, 04:48 PM

Cool Stuff. You can read all about these guns in Ruth's War Baby III.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
The 7th Precinct includes part of downtown Detroit. Belle Isle is part of the 7th Precint. That was sort of an action packed area. http://www.detroitmi.gov/How-Do-I/Find/Police-Precincts
The original 7th Pct was torn down recently. I worked in the 9th, just North of 7, and used to check out an M1 Carbine until they stopped allowing us to. I still stay it's a better gun for what we use it for than the AR we carry now, but new tech always wins, lol.

You are correct, that's from the 7th Precinct, which includes Belle Isle and one of the nicer historic districts, Indian Village.

Not much I can tell you about the gun, although I'm still active and work with a few guys who probably carried that on patrol.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpd3672 View Post
The original 7th Pct was torn down recently. I worked in the 9th, just North of 7, and used to check out an M1 Carbine until they stopped allowing us to. I still stay it's a better gun for what we use it for than the AR we carry now, but new tech always wins, lol.

You are correct, that's from the 7th Precinct, which includes Belle Isle and one of the nicer historic districts, Indian Village.

Not much I can tell you about the gun, although I'm still active and work with a few guys who probably carried that on patrol.

I contacted the DPD with questions but they never responded. Was a rack number assigned to an officer? Note that the magazine is also marked with the same rifle rack number. Any idea why they did this? The DPD carbine in War Baby III does not have a magazine.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpd3672 View Post

Jim Cirillo (formerly of the NYPD Stake Out Squad) said that he preferred an M1 carbine to a riot shotgun. Granted they used soft point ammo but that is an endorsement that certainly means a lot to me - it is based on real world experience not theory.