Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithpa68 View Post
I have one of those Stevenís trainers. Model 416. It shoots really really well for the cheap .22 trainer. Thick target barrel. Great wood and aperture sights. Way cheaper practicing offhand shooting with the 416 vs my Garands. One of my favorite rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those Stevens are nice rifles.

Over the years I've glommed a couple of those military "trainers", including a couple of the 416's and a Sears branded version of the 416.

Old 08-04-2022, 12:06 PM

nice rifles -if any of yours has a U,S,property mark on left side of receiver + a ordnance flaming bomb on top of chamber it would be an original WWII acquired as a trainer - the DOD gave Stevens the contract in late 1941 + a little over 10,000 were supplied when the contract officially ended in 1943 -
Old 08-04-2022, 01:38 PM

Iíve got two 416sÖboth have the flaming bomb and US property marks, one has a stock with SA and smaller G in a box on the left side of the buttstock. Both have bull barrels and both are tack drivers!
Old 08-04-2022, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbo View Post
Iíve got two 416sÖboth have the flaming bomb and US property marks, one has a stock with SA and smaller G in a box on the left side of the buttstock. Both have bull barrels and both are tack drivers!

SA g repair or rebuild at Springfield Armory post WWII ? -
Old 08-04-2022, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
nice rifles -if any of yours has a U,S,property mark on left side of receiver + a ordnance flaming bomb on top of chamber it would be an original WWII acquired as a trainer - the DOD gave Stevens the contract in late 1941 + a little over 10,000 were supplied when the contract officially ended in 1943 -
This is my other Stevens 416.

I could see that the rear sight was missing part of the elevator, but got it for a great price. I lucked out and found a complete sight on AA a few days after the auction.

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/9728159
Old 08-04-2022, 09:36 PM

"Who in the military actually used them?!"

Ball State University Army ROTC, in the 1990's our rifle team regularly competed in three-position small-bore competitions. Our issued rifle was the H&R M12.
Old 08-06-2022, 05:12 PM

Heavy use of the so called trainer 22 bolt actions were mostly by post/ unit marksmanship teams competing in matches, up until the late 70’s really for competition bullseye shooting was the only game in town.

Extensive use by reserve component units was also common.
In addition to limited budgets for ammo, back in the old days ( prior to the 1980’s we’ll say)
Almost every national guard armory had an indoor range suitable for 22’s ( hence the popularity of the issue m261 conversion kits for the m16 in guard units) and again a very limited ammo budget.

I remember several years while I was an enlisted guy ( early -mid 1980’sguard unit)the only training and qualification we did was with the m261’s.

Unfortunately by the mid to late 80’s the Army became overzealous in concern for environmental impacts and health concerns and closed most all the indoor armory ranges due to lead contamination concerns and that was the end of armory ranges and unit shooting clubs
Old 08-07-2022, 12:42 AM

So ok. I was in the regular U.S. Navy boot camp at NTC San Diego in 1974.
The only thing we fired there was the Mossberg 44US. The one I used had the Lyman rear sight, seven rd magazine and the green cotton M1 sling. We shot indoors at 25 yds. Fifty rds were issued in wooden blocks with holes drilled one for each cartridge.
We got a little briefing about how the rifle worked and shot several 5 shot strings until the 50 were gone. They kept score. the total points were then used as an aggregate for the company marksmanship award. (this was a blue, diamond shaped patch that was sewn on the company guidon.
As far as I know the Navy used these rifles through the 1980s. BTW we toted around 1903 and 1903A3 for drill and just about everywhere we went.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:01 AM

I too was Navy -boot camp Great Lakes Il. 1971 we also as above shot .22's, was probably M44,,also shot Hi-Standard pistol,,indoors wintertime probably 50 foot
Old 08-08-2022, 09:17 PM

I have photo's of my dad instructing recruits and they are shooting Springfield 22's. He was in the 41st Div 186 Regt. Some of the recruits seem to be Japanese- American.