Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine24 View Post
Kind of went about this backwards. Picked up a box of Winchester Lee 6mm ammo and now need to find a M1895 Winchester Lee rifle to go with it.

https://imgur.com/a/rnEgiee

Yep. Did the same thing with 303 British.

I've purchased reformed 25-06 into 6mm W-L from Buffalo Arms years ago. They may still list it at their web site.

Could you shoot me a PM with the rifle's serial number when you do get a rifle? I am keeping a census of extant Win Lee just as a curiousity. It would be a great favor if you would.

Best regards,
Old 07-20-2018, 11:15 PM

Will do. Iím 0 for 2 on trying to get one but still working on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2018, 07:46 PM

There was a man who worked for SARCO a few years ago who died when his Lee Navy blew up. His first name was Glenn and he was well known. He was using his own reloads
Old 07-23-2018, 10:55 AM

If I remember correctly, years ago I used commercial .220 Swift brass to easily form cases for use in the 6 mm Lee Navy that I owned. Unfortunately, I sold the rifle and all my brass a few decades ago. Wish I had it back!!

You may wish to compare case dimensions of the two cartridges in the excellent reference book Cartridges of the World.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:04 AM

A gunsmith I use who has a Lee Navy and does use 220 Swift brass for his reloads. He loads them with a spitzer style bullet. Only difference is you have to single load them, as opposed to using them with the clip. Not sure if that is due to the brass or the different bullet profile. I assume the later.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine24 View Post
A gunsmith I use who has a Lee Navy and does use 220 Swift brass for his reloads. He loads them with a spitzer style bullet. Only difference is you have to single load them, as opposed to using them with the clip. Not sure if that is due to the brass or the different bullet profile. I assume the later.

Brass. Much shorter neck length.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:39 PM

Not what I expected, but when comparing the reloads to the production ammo, I see what you mean.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:04 PM

The .220 Swift cases are basically like 6 mm Lee Navy cases except that the necks of Swift cases are a little shorter. Also, the Swift cases have a slight rim. In developing the .220 Swift cartridge I believe Winchester did this to make the rim diameter of the Swift cases essentially the same as many more common hunting cartridges of the day (such as the .30-06). (Makes economic sense in that bolt faces of Swift rifles could be the same as many other hunting cartridges of then and today.)

Perhaps the slight rims on the Swift cases make it difficult or impossible to use them in original 6 mm Lee Navy stripper clips. However, with some appropriate tools these rims could be turned down to come close to matching the head size diameters of original 6 mm Lee Navy cases, which may be in the vicinity of .450 to .460 inches.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
Perhaps the slight rims on the Swift cases make it difficult or impossible to use them in original 6 mm Lee Navy stripper clips. However, with some appropriate tools these rims could be turned down to come close to matching the head size diameters of original 6 mm Lee Navy cases, which may be in the vicinity of .450 to .460 inches.
Nominal rim diameter seems to be 0.448", but there could easily be production variations. .30-06 and .220 Swift nominal rim diameter is 0.473", IIRC.

I'm what you'd call a legend in my own mind.

2071 posts on the old forum - not that I'm counting . . .
Old 07-29-2018, 11:43 AM

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/win...e-navy-safety/

I remember reading this and one or two other articles that suggested using .30-40 ammo to form 6mm Lee Navy ammo is a bad idea.