• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZvenoMan
    • May 2011

Zvenoman's Dishwasher Stock Cleaning

Warning: Graphic content below!
    Some people maybe affected by the desecration of well used, damaged, cracked stocks placed in a common dishwasher. The internet said it would not only completely destroy USGI stocks, but also a kitten will be harmed.

OK, enough disclaimer.
    I heard on the internet that a dishwasher works for cleaning old, dirty gunstocks. A bit more reading showed it to be a bit controversial, some say it works great, others claim it is offensive and not to even think about it.
    From my other threads you may know I am happy to try different (reasonable) methods of stock cleaning and treatment methods. I came across 200 or so well used Garand stocks and decided to try. In my old apartment I cleaned 20 or so with great results.
    In remodeling my kitchen at Ft Zveno I had the old dishwasher, and 150+ stocks to clean remaining. I setup the dishwasher behind my house (my Alabama neighborhood is not exclusive enough for me to place it out front near one of the many cars in my yard with no wheels). I added a "T" to a hot water line and ran a line to it; the hot water is important.
    This week I selected 4 average to below average USGI M1 Garand stocks and fully documented the before and after.
    You may say it can't work and go to the next post, or you may look at my photos and description and decide for yourself.
    I have the full resolution photos stored so if there is something you are curious about just let me know and I can retrieve it. I made 1 graphic per stock for before, and for after to save photo hosting and CMP forum space, but have the originals.
    All stocks were form Dupage, are USGI with plenty of dirt, grime, dents, scratches, a few cracks, and plenty of markings, proof marks and cartouches.
    My conclusions remain as I have stated before:
    1. I would not do this to a valuable or collectable stock. Not only do many state that you should not do much, if any cleaning to them (but it is your stock, do what you want), my experience shows slow and non intrusive moving to more intrusive is best for such work.
    2. I have cleaned about 125 USGI and 50 foreign M1 Garand stocks in a dishwasher. I have tried many cleaners, many settings and found what worked better, and worse for me. But there may be other cleaners that work better, or worse as well.
    4. Heat is good. My water is pretty hot (almost too hot to submerge a hand in a bucket). I found NO setting combination that damaged (in my opinion) any stocks.
    5. I do not see any stocks that were harmed by this method. Dents were raised and even removed. However, grain was raised. I do not see this as a problem, it is minor and no different form any other water based stock cleaning method I have tried. A few minutes with scotchbrite, sandpaper or steel wool will take it down without causing any damage to the woodgrain or markings.
    6. I have seen NO evidence a cartouche, proof mark or other intentionally stamped mark was removed. I found some faint markings and they were still just as sharp after the dishwasher. But again, if a valuable stock, I personally would not do this. See the pics below and make up your own mind.
    7. I did not see any painted on markings removed. In all cases they remained, in the same condition as before cleaning.
    8. Carved graffiti remained in most cases. Some lighter scratches were raised, to the point of removal.

OK, here goes.
    I prefer Purple Power (or Dollar Tree equivalents, just use more because it is already diluted). I have tried many other cleaners, several dishwashing detergents and the good quality water based degreasers work best. PP is cheap at Walmart (I found a 5 gallon container from which I fill up my 1 gallon container).
    I pour in about 1 cup (I do not measure, nor have I found the need to do so) as seen in the pictures below.
    Then I pre-treat the stock. This is important, I can see the results. If I do not pre-treat the stock then it may need a 2nd run in the dishwasher.
    What, you may ask, is pretreating? Either spray (the 50% diluted with water mix works great) the entire stock until it is soaking, or just wipe some on with an old rag as seen here. If spraying, let it sit wet a few minutes then give the entire stock a quick scrub with a plastic dish brush. 1 minute for the entire stock is all it takes. If using the rag, just come back and rub it again with the soaked rag; this is to loosen the crud.
    Stocks 1 and 2 used Purple Power. Stocks 3 and 4 had Simple Green. I have seen no real difference, judge for your self (Simple Green is slightly more expensive). My recommendation is to use something like this that you have already at home. If not, buy one, any one. Simple Green smells nice......
    Settings: Heat! Find the hottest setting (these are residential dishwashers, not commercial units that can get too hot?). I tried heated dry and no heated dry, the heated dry seems to get more dents out, again, no damage. So now I set for longest wash time, longest pre and post heat. Mine takes about 2 hours, seems better than the 1 hour quick wash.
    Figure out how to remove the top rack and 4 stocks will fit in most residential dishwashers. I only put in 1 for these tests.

More to follow
    JH
    Last edited by ZvenoMan; 03-10-2021, 11:23 AM.
    Zvenoman
  • lapriester
    • Oct 2009

I have used the dishwasher method on numerous stocks and the only thijg that happened was ending up with clean stocks with dents removed and often the discovery of beautiful grain patterns and tiger stripes you would have never known exsisted. On 2 invisable cartouches appeared. One secret is putting the stock in a warm room and letting it dry slowly over several days.

Now, having said all that I would never recommend dishwashing a rear handguard for a full cycle. Maybe half and during the drying process you need to place it on a hard flat surface open side down and place a heavy book or such on top of it. Failing to do so and there's about a 50% or more risk the thin HG will twist during drying especially if the grain is not perfectly straight.

For rear, wash it with the liner in place or wedge the opening. Fail to do that and about 90% of the time it will close like a clamshell either during the wash or definately during drying.

This stock went from this

To this in the dishwasher

And finally to this.

Comment

• ZvenoMan
      • May 2011

Stock #1

Interesting stock. Look at these items:
      1. Under buttplate there are a few numbers/letters stamped. Before + after look about the same.
      2. This has been repaired by routing out the bottom of the magwell and gluing in new wood (I assume to tighten trigger lockup). After cleaning these always look more pronounced because all the wood is lighter color, the glue line remains dark. Once oiled these will blend in more. The glue is still tight and solid.
      3. Serif P proof on grip, see before and after.
      4. See brass disk inlet and serial# un butt.
      5. Serial # in channel.
      6. Looks like a crack in channel. Close examination, it is not, it is a ridge or line in the wood (dull tool?). Spreading it does not work and there is no crack on the outside.
      7. Side just below receiver. Looks like some bolt or cable indentations. The dishwasher cleaned them and raised them some but not completely gone.

I have noticed the dishwasher cleans out any cracks and gouges well so not much else is needed in order to glue. Never glue a crack that is dirty, it will cause too many problems later.
      I have propped open cracks with a popsicle stick before running the dishwasher before, if they are full of grease.

Overall this is a nice stock.
      Before

After

JH
      Last edited by ZvenoMan; 12-23-2020, 04:39 PM.
      Zvenoman

Comment

• ZvenoMan
        • May 2011

Thanks Lapriester, that looks great.
        I ran an assembly line last month, about 200 stocks. None look that nice, but none have any oil either.
        JH
        Zvenoman

Comment

• broomhandle
          • Feb 2016

Hi Fellow posters,

I saw that method on You Tube, figured it would ruin any stock do to all the cut outs. Maybe I'll give it a try when the wife is gone for the day.

She just might have a serious objection to this method in HER dishwasher!
          I do have to sleep some time!

Broom

Comment

• davidjeane
            • May 2012

Have done 2. Both came out super. Most dents and scratches removed, just gone.
            After a week drying out I buffed them out with fine steel wool, quick stain, and 6 coats of tung oil overnight drying between coats. Stocks look like I am a professional refinsher !!!

Comment

• lapriester
              • Oct 2009

I have generally used regular dishwasher soap about half as much. I have also added a small quantity of bleach to the rinse and ran an additional rinse. I don't set the washer for high heat. I just use what comes out of my demand water heater which we run quite hot.

After the stock dries for a few days and before I buff down the raised grain with varied stages of steel wool, I copiously drench any cracks with Acetone before doing any repairs. I also mix a batch of Elmer's Glue and walnut sawdust if I want to fill any deep, wood missing, gouges left after the washing. I've also been known to add some Walnut dust to the Gorilla Glue if the stock being repaired is likely to be dark when oiled. Most thin, tight cracks I repair with Super Glue, especially those in handguards.

Comment

• Quarterbore
                • Mar 2018

I am curious about the elmers glue with walnut sawdust. I’ve never tried that but what I have used is Shellac mixed with sawdust. The shellac tends to be darker than the rest of the stock but it’s very stable even for large gouges like rack damage.

I’ve never had to do that many stocks that I’ve used a dishwasher. I first confirm there are no cartouches by using a rag and whipping turpentine on the stock. If none and the stock is bad I then go after the whole stock and use diluted purple power in a very large plastic tub. Spray the wood completely down and allow it to sit, wipe off the gunk and repeat. Once I get the worst of the grime off I will then iron out any dents and repair (shellac and sawdust) or wood glue w/wo threaded brass rod as needed.

I wouldn’t pay me to do one but they don’t look bad as shooters. I had a 1903a3 stock that I thought was trash but honestly it came out darned nice for a stock that looked like a beaver chewed on it so a GI smashed it over the beavers head and cracked it. I figured i had nothing to loose, now I wouldn’t sell it or replace it for another stock.

Comment

• bruce
                  • Nov 2009

Way back in the days of the Danish return M-1's, I ordered two. Received two 600K SA M-1's w/ gorgeous VAR barrels. Hand guards were WWII walnut. Excellent condition. The buttstocks were beech, greasy, nothing to write home about. Put the buttstocks in the dishwasher one Monday morning after my wife left for work. I put it on the pots/pans cycle and hit the start button before heading to the office. Came back at lunch. Both buttstocks were very nicely clean ... no grease at all. Drying cycle had done no harm. Later when I could afford it, I replaced the buttstocks w/ USGI wood. Gorgeous rifles. Sincerely. bruce.
                  <><

Comment

• ZvenoMan
                    • May 2011

Stock #2
                    This is a well used stock.
                    Note the buttstock, there is a scratch and gouge. The scratch was raised, just needs a light sanding to make all the wood the same color. The gouge is now completely cleaned out and ready for filling. It has been raised but won't disappear.

Before

After

JH
                    Zvenoman

Comment

• ZvenoMan
                      • May 2011

Stock #3. Same process used except Simple Green instead of Purple Power.
                      Note that after wishing some areas still had a layer of grime. 1/20 will show this, not related to Purple Power vs Simple Green. Best would be to spray it again with cleaner, let it soak a few minuted then give it a good scrub with scothcbrite or a stiff brush. Rinse in hot water or run through the dishwasher again. For these pics I just scrubbed for 10 seconds with a dry scotchbrite to remove the film.
                      This stock will need more than a deep cleaning to make it look good.

Before

After

JH
                      Zvenoman

Comment

• ZvenoMan
                        • May 2011

Stock #4
                        This stock was once a nice stock. DAS stamp, two Proof P's
                        Now it has some sort of a stain, some patched gouges, unrepaired chips, and a crack.
                        It has also been routed out under the triggerguard and epoxy bedding was added, presumably to correct the fit.
                        This is repairable, so in another thread I'll try out a few things on it.

Before

After

JH
                        Zvenoman

Comment

• lapriester
                          • Oct 2009

This was a Danish return Beech stock that got the dishwasher treatment. My 80% correct Winchester wears it.

Comment

• Mark1
                            • Oct 2009

The trick to the sawdust is use a piece of wood matching the fill you want. Than use a wood file not sand paper to make the dust. The problem with sand paper is the SAND comes off the paper. When mixed with the glue it shows up as little dark spots and if near the surface can come out and now you have pits.

Use a file and you will end up with a much better fill.

Comment

• Polock
                              • Oct 2009

How would this affect septic tanks? Want to try this on a few Greek rtn. M1s (not walnut) but fear ruining/hurting our septic tank---
                              "I have never seen a situation so desperate that the arrival of a policeman did not make worse"--Brendan Behan, Irish poet.

Comment

Working...
                              X