Converting to 7.62mm- Do I need a new bolt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bls72bmw
    • Aug 2012

Converting to 7.62mm- Do I need a new bolt?

Future project is converting a FG HR to .308. Will the old bolt work, or do I need to get a new in pkg bolt (someone here has some for as low as $63!!) to have the gunsmith fit to it?

Thank you guys.
    Ps using a 308 Criterion Bbl from CMP and sending out to gunsmith. Just trying to buy parts and then have built. Bit by bit.
  • M1Garandy
    • Dec 2011

In my opinion, you should not need a new bolt unless it (the bolt) has some pre-existing issues.

Comment

• lapriester
      • Oct 2009

No. all the parts are the same. All you have to do is change the barrel to convert to .308. The barrel will be reamed to fit and headspace to the existing bolt.

Larry

Comment

• Garand Plan
        • Feb 2010

As Larry said, as long as it headspaces, you will be fine.

Comment

• bigengineer
          • Nov 2012

So it would be possible to take a 7.62 Navy barrelled receiver and substitute it into a field grade M1 without changing any other parts, as long as the headspace is checked with the bolt being used?

Sorry if this sounds too elementary, I'm just learning this.

Comment

• joe wilson
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by bigengineer View Post
            So it would be possible to take a 7.62 Navy barrelled receiver and substitute it into a field grade M1 without changing any other parts, as long as the headspace is checked with the bolt being used?
            Yes, no problem. The only addition I would make is a spacer to ensure a .30-06 loaded enbloc could not be accidentally inserted, and an engraved rear sight cover indicating it was barreled in .308.

Comment

• RdKryton
              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by joe wilson View Post
              Yes, no problem. The only addition I would make is a spacer to ensure a .30-06 loaded enbloc could not be accidentally inserted, and an engraved rear sight cover indicating it was barreled in .308.
              Like this.

CMP Customer Number 262549

"In life applied knowledge is wisdom, applied wisdom is enlightenment". Pick and choose your fights carefully.

Comment

• bls72bmw
                • Aug 2012

Great pics, thanks for posting.

Comment

• HB of CJ
                  • Nov 2011

Try To Actually Use The Old Bolt And Why

Especially if the bolt and receiver have been married together for quite a few rounds. The bolt lugs take a liking to the receiver lug locking areas. To change to a new bolt with a receiver with lots of mileage SOMETIMES, (rarely) MAY create new wear contact patterns which generally is not good as the headspace MAY, (rarely) be affected down the road. It also can stress, (rarely) the receiver lug locking areas and bolt lugs. Extreme case. HB of CJ (old coot)

Comment

Working...
                  X