Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2020, 10:25 AM

Default Mounting Redfield Sights to 513-T & 144US

I am trying to attach Redfield Olympic and International sights to a Remington 513-T and a Mossberg 144US. Any recommendations on where I can find bases for the 144 front and rear sights, and an adapter for the front sight of the 513-T?
Old 04-10-2020, 09:24 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scssa_ar View Post
I am trying to attach Redfield Olympic and International sights to a Remington 513-T and a Mossberg 144US. Any recommendations on where I can find bases for the 144 front and rear sights, and an adapter for the front sight of the 513-T?
Both the 513T and the 144US were used as trainers, not match rifles, and initially were fitted with small format sights, the Redfield 75, which mounts with an 8-40 thumbscrew. The Olympic and International sights are large format sights and mount with a 10-32 screw.

Your 144US came with a Lyman 17 front in a barrel female dovetail. Williams and others make adapters for clamp style front sights. The 144US rear sight base is small format and very hard to find.

513Ts came in three different front sight configurations:
a. Dovetail only;
b. Dovetail and two threaded holes (early Army contract); and
c. Two threaded holes only (later Army contract).

This chart from the 1971 Redfield catalog may be helpful:

Brownells and MidwayUSA used to sell a small format (8-40) mount for a rear sight for the Mossberg, but these are long out of production.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:06 AM

Thank you for all the info. My 513-T has only the two screws on the front. Does any make or have a picture of a front sight mount for a two-screw only 513?
Old 04-11-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Thank you for all the info. My 513-T has only the two screws on the front. Does any make or have a picture of a front sight mount for a two-screw only 513?
The original Redfield front sight bases will sometimes pop up on eBay:

Look for numbers 723013 or 723014.

Brownells sold these:

They ran out shortly after CMP announced a mass release of .22 rifles about 2010. You might run across one at a gun show or on eBay.

Ken Viani made a scope mount for the 513T which included an iron sight base. He also made a few front sight bases to accommodate a higher line of sight (3/8" or so above stock):

You might find one of those.

Steve Earle makes custom sight blocks and did a one-time run of these:

A couple of notes:

1. Hole spacing is 1.15"

2. The thread is an odd size, variously reported as 5-44, 5-48, or other sizes. If it were up to me, I'd just upgrade to 6-48 and be done with it.

You could also use a replacement front sight from Numrich as a base. Flatten off the top, parallel to the bottom, and cut a standard dovetail.

Old 04-11-2020, 12:00 PM

You might want to register on rimfirecentral and see if someone has one they'd be willing to part with.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:01 PM

Another viable option for a front sight is to contact SARCO and see if they still have some Parker Hale front sights with attached ramps for sale.

I bought a few of these for my Remington 513T rifles which had no sights on them. The Parker Hale sights are hooded and can be ordered with a set of 10 different inserts.

The hole spacing on the Parker Hale base is different from the two holes on the 513T, but it can be attached using only one baluster screw. I think the price was very reasonable (like in the $15-20 range).

The rear sight base is also available. I had to buy a couple of them too, but cannot recall where I found them. Good luck with your project rifles.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:38 PM

Default Redfield Olumpics for the 513-T

Quote:
I am trying to attach Redfield Olympic and International sights to a Remington 513-T
I don't know what you can do for the 144--never had one. But for the 513-T you can get everything you need from Steve Earle Products. He makes a rear base that lets the 513-T accommodate an Olympic (or an International, or a Palma). And he has front bases, too.

I fitted my 513-T with a set of these larger Redfield sights: looks real cool, but didn't make my groups any smaller.

It's up to you.

Regards,
Tim