Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2018, 10:21 PM

The best thing to do is avoid getting in that situation to begin with. If you do encounter a bear don't take off running or it will be on you in an instant. Otherwise make sure you can out run whoever is with you. If you're counting on defending yourself with a firearm, regardless of the caliber, make sure you can hit a target the size of a softball (brain) while it's charging you at 30mph and swaying from side to side at the same time otherwise all you'll do is p*** it off.

Last edited by Ronwall; 09-16-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:23 PM

No issues with bears in SE Montana. Which river? Yellowstone, Tongue, probably the Big Horn? Great fishing there. 70 miles from where I live.

Ennis is beautiful, must be the Madison river? My buddy floated it two weeks ago on a 60 miles float. Lots of people on that river. No issues with bears there. Maybe black bear around, they are harmless.

I'd bring bear spray just in case and hang food away from camp. That is all we do.

If your going to the Jackson Hole area to fish the Snake river it might be a different story but I still think bear spray is good enough.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Gambler View Post
No issues with bears in SE Montana. Which river? Yellowstone, Tongue, probably the Big Horn? Great fishing there. 70 miles from where I live.

Ennis is beautiful, must be the Madison river? My buddy floated it two weeks ago on a 60 miles float. Lots of people on that river. No issues with bears there. Maybe black bear around, they are harmless.

I'd bring bear spray just in case and hang food away from camp. That is all we do.

If your going to the Jackson Hole area to fish the Snake river it might be a different story but I still think bear spray is good enough.
We will be fishing a lot of the rivers: Madison, Soda Butte, Lamar, Slough Creek, Firehole, Nez Perce Creek, Gallatin, Grayling Creek, Taylor Fork and Gibbons.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:58 AM

Bring a friend (preferably a local) who knows the area, knows bears, and will carry (and be proficient with) a suitable long gun. That way you can concentrate on fishing and your buddy can watch over you.

I have never shot a bear, but I would not rely on any handgun. The local above recommended bear spray, so that is probably a good idea.

If you are going to be out there on your own, and you are really concerned, stay home.
ACEP-certified coach
Satisfied shooter of low-number Springfields
Not on the payroll of any arms or ammunition companies
Old 09-18-2018, 09:16 AM

when you're hunting an animal, you're a sniper and can pick/choose your shot. when you're trying to save your rear from a charging freight train, you can't be so choosey about your shot placement. Some of the sturdier revolvers will let you use a heavier bullet - think penetration. More rounds don't count so much if they don't get deep in there. Brigands stop and think: "oops, hole in my body, I better quit." Wild animals don't.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:05 AM

Bad Gambler's information is correct. Contrary to popular belief bear spray is the recommended method to handle bear encounters. There are videos on-line showing when and how to deploy the spray. Firearms, you would think, would work best but the vast majority of bear attacks occur when a human surprises a bear at close quarters - in those circumstances there usually is not enough time to shoot accurately. Spray, if nothing else, gives you a chance without needing to properly place a bullet. Bears usually halt or back-off when sprayed which may give time to use you hand cannon or rifle. Just my opinion but I've spent a considerable part of my career educating Forest Service, Park Service, and BLM employees about backcountry bear safety.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:31 AM

While you can legally carry a gun in West Yellowstone National Park you cannot fire it, not even to defend yourself against a bear or other large animal. I lived in southwest Montana for 16 years and never encountered a bear while hunting.
I've been on the Madison, Big Hole, Jefferson, Yellowstone, Little Blackfoot and Missouri Rivers.

I agree with Madtom use bear spray.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:26 PM

Do not go alone, have a person who cannot run faster than you lead the way!
Old 09-18-2018, 10:45 PM

Funny about those that claim 10mm can't do the job. There is a current story up on All Outdoor that says yes it can. Barely! https://www.alloutdoor.com/2018/09/1...ck-just-barely
Old 09-18-2018, 10:50 PM

Its better to have and not need then to need and not have. I've hunted and fished in the Alaska Interior and always had my 870 with a 18 in barrel with me loaded with slugs. I shot a 44 mag once and couldn't hit anything with it.