Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2019, 12:26 PM

Default Finally bought a USGI 1911. Opinions on "history"?

I've been looking for a USGI 1911 that really spoke to me and here it is. I was mostly attracted to the nice repark and serial number matching slide. I was surprised to see that it also came with an original box with penciled serial number and the packing paper that the gun was originally wrapped in. I assume the repark is not from an arsenal rebuild because I don't see any rebuild stamps? I assume this box/wax paper are legit but I don't really care, I didn't realize they were part of the package. I find it interesting that all of the S/N lookup web sites say it's a 1942 and Colt's web site says 1943

So my question is: if this thing was delivered to the US Army in 1942/43 how would it manage to stay with that box? Or would this box have been used to sell it to the public through the NRA? If that was the case, I wouldn't expect it to be a "Colt" box but a "US Army" box? I "bought the gun, not the story", just curious on if anyone has any insight or opinions on how this would have transpired. A few photos:

Original Box?

Matching frame and slide

Assembler's mark

Frame "P"

"WB" Stamp

Slide "P"

Light pitting before repark?

I didn't take any pictures of the whole pistol. Here is a group photo with it's peers. It's on the right.
Group photo
Old 04-07-2019, 01:20 PM

Your pistol was originally shipped either 8/15/42 or 8/29/42 to Springfield.

The box is not original but is one of the modern reproductions floating around now. No big deal, as original boxes are very rare.

You already know it's been reparked and probably not at an arsenal, so again, no surprises there. Matching slide and frame are a big plus. Don't know if it has the original barrel but that would also be a bonus. All in all, a nice early piece that looks good despite being refinished.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
Your pistol was originally shipped either 8/15/42 or 8/29/42 to Springfield.
Is that from a book or a website? It's pretty interesting either way. Maybe one day I'll pony up the $ for the Colt history report on it.

Quote:
Don't know if it has the original barrel but that would also be a bonus.
It looks like the original type of barrel. Like the one in this Picture.

Thanks all for the responses.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got N2O View Post
Is that from a book or a website? It's pretty interesting either way. Maybe one day I'll pony up the $ for the Colt history report on it.
Barrel may very well be original too. Is there a "G" on the bottom in front of the lug?

The shipping info comes from Charles Clawson's list. Chances are the Colt letter would only narrow it down to one of those two dates so might not be worth the expense, but they are cool to have.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Barrel may very well be original too. Is there a "G" on the bottom in front of the lug?

The shipping info comes from Charles Clawson's list. Chances are the Colt letter would only narrow it down to one of those two dates so might not be worth the expense, but they are cool to have.
I didn't see a "G". Would that indicate a government conversion of a civilian model?
Old 04-08-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I didn't see a "G". Would that indicate a government conversion of a civilian model?
No. The barrel you showed would most likely be USGI but the other marks help to date it. For example, there might be a small G, a large G, an F, or a number in front of the lug or there might be a boxed C on one side of the lug. All those help narrow down the manufacture date.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:26 PM

Another question, the repark on the slide gets darker forward of the frame. Is that normal? You can see it well in the "group photo".
Old 04-07-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Another question, the repark on the slide gets darker forward of the frame. Is that normal? You can see it well in the "group photo".
Totally normal. That's one of the areas where the slide was heat treated and it is just more noticeable now.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Totally normal. That's where the slide was heat treated and it is just more noticeable now.
Cool, thanks for the replies.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:35 PM

According to CLAWSON (3rd Edition) Page 95...

Colonel Waldemar S. Broberg served as the ARMY INSPECTOR OF ORDNANCE (Hartford/Springfield Ordnance District) from July 1, 1941 - June 16, 1942.

COLT M1911A1 Serial #s 750500 - 861000

Last edited by DDRode; 04-07-2019 at 01:41 PM.