Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2010, 02:47 PM

Default New M1D owner just back from the north store

Hey, all,

Just thought I'd check in as a new guy here on the forums. Yesterday drove from my home in Cincinnati to the north store and picked up a nice M1D (Muzzle erosion less than one, throat erosion at 2, nice green parkerization, DOD stamp on the stock). Have collected what I think to be all the M1D goodies (USGI m84 scope and mount, MRT 2 52 cheek pad, T37 flash hider), and 2 cans of M2 ammo. Still need to give the M1D a good field stripping, cleaning, and inspection. Wondering if anyone out there has any recommendations on how to get this rifle out of mothballs and up to firing status - any advice, things to watch for, etc? Or are the M1's out of the store pretty much ready to go? Thanks in advance,

Mike

Last edited by murphy396; 05-02-2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: add detail
Old 05-05-2010, 05:12 PM

To answer you: There are a bunch of safety checks that should be performed before firing the rifle. I believe the CMP inspects their rifle but say that if you hurt yourself they are not liable. They tell you to get the rifle inspected by a gunsmith before firing
I'm not sure where you are at w/ knowledge of the Garand but there are a few things you should know if you don't already. Sorry if I insult your intelligence
1) use a muzzle guide to clean the rifle
2) only shoot M2 ball or proper hand loads
3) try to shoot from a clip as the Garand was designed this way

Honestly, it should be fine.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:04 PM

Default Can't insult what's not there!

Bsrman,

Thanks for the reply (I was starting to feel all alone!)

I plan on using M2 ball, as long as the price stays favorable. Might hand load eventually, but not for a while. My dad has done it with no problems with his M1.

Don't plan on feeding the rifle single shot. Got plenty of clips.

Muzzle guide for cleaning - check.

I'm just now doing a detail strip and stock cleaning (not refinishing, just getting the cosmo stickiness off). I have a reasonable level of familiarity - dad's had an M1 from the early days of when the CMP first started offering them. Took his to the range with him many times, no problems. I'm very interested in seeing how the m84scope/M1D setup performs compared to a straight M1.

Mike
Old 05-09-2010, 11:51 AM

Thought I'd add some photos to see what you guys think. Still waiting for two parts to the puzzle - have a USGI leather sling and rubber scope eyepiece on order. Everything you see is USGI authentic - no repros.

Mike
Old 05-09-2010, 11:52 AM

And a few more:

Hope these photos come out OK - it's my first time with this site.

Mike
Old 05-09-2010, 11:57 AM

Your pics are fine!
Very nice. It's getting real hard to not grab one of these........
Old 05-09-2010, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad to hear the photo links worked. It's taken quite a while (and dollars!) to collect all the M1D extra stuff, but da**, they sure are cool aren't they? I love my dad's straight M1, but when I looked into the sniper variant, it stole my heart! If the CMP ever offers an M1C, lookout! If you thought the AP ammo went fast, the M1C's (with CMP documentation) would be gone in an instant I'll bet.

Mike
Old 05-09-2010, 02:51 PM

I know some C's were recieved back in '07 or '08. That was reported in 2 issues of the GCA Journal. Where they are in the food chain is unknown to me.
I'm planing a June trip to the North Store; hopefully. Work and $$$ permitting.
If that fails, I'll try to enlist the use of someones eyes who is headed to one of the stores.
It needs to happen before Nationals begin in July.
Again, nice looking 'D.

Last edited by bob moore; 05-09-2010 at 02:54 PM.