Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2019, 08:34 AM

Default Flat front vs. round front barrel bands

I recently aquired a late '43 Underwood with the flat front type 1a band with 3 distinct spotwelds. After thinking for awhile I realized that it has been many years since I have seen a carbine in person with that style. A search of some CC newsletters failed to shed any specific info regarding amount produced, time frames, manufacturer etc. Does anybody here have any firsthand knowledge regarding these, or maybe an info link?
Old 04-17-2019, 08:49 AM

Inland was probably the most common user of the flat face type one barrel band. In fact, one of my current Inland carbines has one and I've had one in the past that also had a flat face. Most of the Inland type one barrel bands I've seen have a rounded face, whether they be unmarked or UI/U marked.

It's worth noting that I had never seen an Underwood carbine with an UI or U marking on it until the last year or so when suddenly I've seen three or so. Off of the top of my head I can't remember if there was some integration between the Inland and UEF or not for type one bands or not, but it's worth looking into later