Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2010, 07:12 PM

Default Removing cosmoline from stock

Hi guys,

What is best and safest method to remove cosmoline from my CMP correct Garand stock. Thanks
Old 05-07-2010, 10:37 PM

This is a frequently asked question and there are several accepted methods. Most involve either heat or mild solvents.

Use the "search" function and see what you come up with. For some entertaining reading search for the word "dishwasher" while you're at it.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:46 PM

I'm brand new at this, so consider this advice with that in mind.

I just bought an M1D and had the same problem. Many on the forums talk about heating the rifle in your car (in the sun) in a black garbage bag to get the temp up to the 135 or so degrees that it takes to melt cosmo. Seemed a bit messy to me. Others talk about running it through a dishwasher to get it off. Worried me about soaking the wood too much. I took the advice to use mineral spirits to dissolve it off gently - worked well but left the wood dry and bare (but still had the authentic color, nicks, cartouches, etc., which is what I wanted). I didn't want to strip and refinish the stock (for authenticity, like you) so I used tung oil to coat and seal the wood. Several coats later, the wood was dry, clean, looked great, and wasn't sticky. Can't wait to take it to the range now.

Mike
Old 05-08-2010, 12:32 AM
Banned

Field strip and drop the whole thing, (lock, stock and barrel) into a tub of mineral spirits(cheap and easy to find) and leave it there for 24 hours. Then wipe off the gunk and apply some oil on the metal.
Do not dump said gunk down any drain. It's toxic. Cosmoline is thick petroleum jelly.
"...but left the wood dry and bare..." Yep. Ready for whatever wood finish you want. No big rush for the wood though.
BLO gives a flat finish. Just gets applied with a clean lint free cloth, then the excess wiped off.
Tung oil, properly rubbed in(Light coats over several days with a clean, lint free, cloth for each application.), gives a hard, shiney, waterproof finish. Brings out the grain nicely too. Any stain must be put on before the first coat. Tung oil penetrates about 1/4" into any wood and will keep anything out.
"...a dishwasher..." That'll raise any cartouches.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:16 AM

Slow, but IMHO the best route:
a) wait for a sunny warm day
b) set the stock out in the direct sunlight
c) as cosmoline weeps out of the wood, wipe with acetone*
d) rinse/repeat, depending on how cosmoline-soaked your stock is will dictate when you can move on to reapplying wood oil.

This basically replicates the conditions where folks complain of their stock getting messy when out at the range. Once you are confident you got most of the cosmoline removed, and you apply linseed/tung (allowing to polymerize sufficiently) you will not need to worry as much about further weeping of internal cosmo.

*acetone will cause the stock to look dry and colorless. However, the red color will bounce right back as you reapply linseed or tung
Old 05-08-2010, 04:17 PM

Thanks for the dope on casomline removal. The extra time is worth not damaging the stock.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:34 PM

Faster, easier way in my "humble" opinion is to use a little hand held steamer and suspend the rifle by whatever means you can over a bucket. Start with the hot steam at the top and slowly move down letting the cosmoline drip/drop into the bucket. You can also use the little steamer to assist in removing some of the shallow dings & dents. You can pass it over any markings without damage as long as you don't linger for any length of time.
Wipe everything down with denatured alcohol (several times) and lightly oil the metal and put some BLO and 100% tung oil on the stock and your all set.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:05 PM

Default Cosmoline

Thanks a million guys.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:51 PM

Lots of good advice here.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:16 PM
CMP Customer

I use mineral spirits a paint brush and a tooth brush and a can of card cleaner a few rags and a air compressor. . Wont hurt wood. after I clean it up I put a coat of tung oil on the stock and bees wax after it dries. if you do not have a compressor the carb cleaner will get most of the cosmoline.
CB