Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2018, 09:54 AM

To respond to S11033 and leveraging the Val Forgett memo. I had posted some info on an earlier string about reactivating 1903A3's but its easier just to revisit it. Reactivation advisability is dependent on the "severity" of the deactivation. During my time as a ROTC cadet and as an Ordnance officer I have seen multiple variations of deactivation. They ranged from: 1) Rear sight dovetail ground off, barrels plugged (rod jammed in but not welded at all), firing pin hole welded, follower and spring removed, no welds on receiver. 2) Tack welded barrel to receiver, welded cut off, rod welded in barrel, front sight blade removed. 3) 360 degree weld of barrel to receiver, plugged and welded barrel, rear sight removed, front sight blade removed, firing pin hole welded, cut off welded or not welded. The last variation I would not reactivate. Note that there were some variations on the process throughout the population observed. The first one I reactivated 15 years before the CMP auction, was from a Catholic boys high school in New York City w/ no welds on the receiver, barrel plugged (no weld), firing pin hole welded. The ones from the big CMP auction that I physically handled (85 ea) were complete (less follower and spring, and front sight blade) and were all easily re-activatible: tiny tack weld of barrel to receiver (weld predominately on barrel), plugged and welded barrel, welded cut off, firing pin hole welded and striker broken. The only ones that weren't reactivated were the chromed ones ( 5 of 85). There were 10 w/ plastic stocks and those were replaced w/ wood ones.

HTH's Mark

Last edited by SpearheadOrd; 10-17-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearheadOrd View Post
To respond to S11033 and leveraging the Val Forgett memo. I had posted some info on an earlier string about reactivating 1903A3's but its easier just to revisit it. Reactivation advisability is dependent on the "severity" of the deactivation. During my time as a ROTC cadet and as an Ordnance officer I have seen multiple variations of deactivation. They ranged from: 1) Rear sight dovetail ground, off barrels plugged (rod jammed in but not welded at all), firing pin hole welded, follower and spring removed, no welds on receiver. 2) Tack welded barrel to receiver, welded cut off, rod welded in barrel, front sight blade removed. 3) 360 degree weld of barrel to receiver, plugged and welded barrel, rear sight removed, front sight blade removed, firing pin hole welded, cut off welded or not welded. The last variation I would not reactivate. Note that there were some variations on the process throughout the population observed. The first one I reactivated 15 years before the CMP auction, was from a Catholic boys high school in New York City w/ no welds on the receiver, barrel plugged (no weld), firing pin hole welded. The ones from the big CMP auction that I physically handled (85 ea) were complete (less follower and spring, and front sight blade) and were all easily re-activatible: tiny tack weld of barrel to receiver (weld predominately on barrel), plugged and welded barrel, welded cut off, firing pin hole welded and striker broken. The only ones that weren't reactivated were the chromed ones ( 5 of 85). There were 10 w/ plastic stocks and those were replaced w/ wood ones.

HTH's Mark
That's awesome, thank you for all that information. I will probably just reach out to Dupage and see what they say about how severely deactivated these rifles are. Maybe they'll hand pick a few that aren't too bad if I order a dozen?

Steve
Old 10-17-2018, 10:53 AM

I picked up one of them. Will post pictures when I receive it. Hopefully it will be easy to reactivate and build in to a A4 Clone.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:08 PM

The pics show a missing front sight and a missing rear sight, but the ad copy only mentions the missing front sight. Were the previously-offered drills missing both sights when received?

Edit: on closer inspection two pics show a rear sight, two do not. Hmmmm...

Last edited by Laphroaig; 10-17-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:14 PM

There have been various grades of these drill rifles offered by Dupage. There were the $200 rifles that had serviceable stocks and rear sights. There were the $100 rifles that were missing front and rear sights and usually had a damaged stock that may or my not be repairable. The current offering have rear sights but damaged stocks, hense the happy medium of $150.

The amount of weld on the cutoff and barrel is all luck of the draw. There are no hand picked rifles, they grab the next one on the rack. I have restore many of the drill rifles from Dupage. Some had light welds and some had heavy welds but all of them were restorable.

These are fun projects, especially if you can do most of the work yourself.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:23 AM

Uggggh the great debate now, do i go for another one?

Josh
Old 10-19-2018, 12:03 AM

It appears they are now sold out. I did manage to snag one. Thanks to all that alerted me about their availability. It’s highly appreciated.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:11 PM

Received my drill rifle today, they are in very very rough condition. Barrel weld is pretty good. Cut off is going to take some serious work. Stock is cracked in several locations and the handguard is missing a sizable piece... general rust and grime allover.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2018, 09:10 PM

Wow, the metal work doesn’t look bad at all to me. (I don’t know much about wood work.) A little bit of time on a Bridgeport will do it wonders. Mine is at my FFL’s, I’ll pick it up this weekend.

Last edited by DeltaTango; 10-23-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:15 PM

That one does not look too bad. Depending on how much work you are willing to put into it and your skill level you could blend the cut off area well enough. Don't expect the stocks on these drill rifles to be in great or even serviceable condition. They still have drill rifles but they are getting down the the very end and the pickins are slim.

One of Dupage's issues is that it is hard to sell and ship a rifle as a barreled receiver due to C&R requirements stating that it has to be a complete or mostly complete rifle. Barreled receivers do not qualify as C&R. So they have to piece together the rifles with what they have available. You are basically purchasing a receiver and most of the stock metal for the $150, the stock is there to allow shipping.

I saw the couple drill rifles that the CMP brought to the Western Games for $150 and they were just as bad if not worse than these ones offered by Dupage.

Here are the most recent rifles that I have completed from my last Dupage purchase. These two are my personal match rifles. I try to clean up the welds as best as I can with a dremel but I don't try to hide the fact that they were once drill rifles.
The one stock had some nice cartouches and was in repairable condition, the other had a stock that was non salvageable so it was put in a Numrich $80 scant stock that needed a little TLC on the forend.

The S stock rifle has a NOS 4-groove 3-43 barrel and the scant stock rifle has a Criterion barrel. Both barrels were lapped together to the receivers. The bolts lugs were lapped prior to barrel installation and headspacing.

I used the scant stock rifle in the Western Games. It is the most accurate vintage rifle I own. I was able to shoot a 98 slow prone and 100 in prone rapids, we will not talk about the off-hand debacle.

Both of these rifles started with a weld similar to the rifle on top

Last edited by lemmonhead; 10-23-2018 at 11:15 PM.