Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > EIC Pistol
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2019, 07:14 PM

Default Am I the only one that wants Leg Points for GSSF

Of course it's heresy.

Imagine the course of fire that was used at Camp Perry Glock National Challenge, remove the "Glock" requirement, and use the service pistol list from "4.1.4 Other Approved Service Pistols" (1911's could use extended magazines to get to 10 rounds, or maybe their time has come).

Establish a minimum point threshold to earn points, and use the current rules of # of competitors required for points issued.

There you go............

It could be another Distinguished Badge in itself. "Combat Pistol".

While it could be argued it devalues the gentleman's sport of Bullseye, it can equally be argued it recognizes the realities of the service pistol in combat.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:29 PM

Is the course of fire “tough” enough? Didn’t a whole slew of folks clean it with 500s? Don’t get me wrong, I think it is great fun—so much so I bought a Glock. And boy is it quick compared to a day of high power.

Last edited by TLB; 01-31-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLB View Post
You Is the course of fire “tough” enough? Didn’t a whole slew of folks clean it with 500s? Don’t get me wrong, I think it is great fun—so much so I bought a Glock. And boy is it quick compared to a day of high power.
It's all relative right? Top 10%, and point threshold.

https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.p...ts&match=16349

Of the 170 only 5 got 500, with a 46X as the winner.

446 was the match average.

17th (10%) got 494/27x

So make the point threshold 490-495 and it would challenge most.

I suppose if "Glock" wanted something like Leg matches they could fashion something the CMP would sign off on.

The thing that makes it "easy" is the time allotted to make the shots.

Rapid fire bullseye gives 2 seconds per shot at the 25. So yea the Glock Challenge is much easier with 1.5 seconds at the 25 per shot, but with BOTH hands, and then everything closer gets the same amount of time. How could one MISS at 5,7,10..........

The actual GSSF matches time is the score, with penalties for less than stellar accuracy. There isn't a finite score of 500-50x. Someone is always faster regardless of "X's". Then of course that takes FOREVER scoring everyone one at a time.

So it's a matter of balance. Simply reduce the allotted time until it starts to become obvious it's a challenge for even accomplished shooters.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:49 PM

Between NRA and CMP there are several handgun (pistol, revolver, PPC, action pistol, .22 pistol) Distinguished badges which can be earned. These represent established, challenging courses of fire. Some of these might be considered precision (Bullseye) and some are considered practical/tactical (Action Pistol, PPC). The GSSF matches are proprietary matches that score relatively graciously, are not precision, are not particularly tactically or practically relevant, and are not particularly challenging. These matches have their place in that they are a great way to introduce individuals to shooting sports and encourage folks to improve their skills through practice and involvement in these events. My opinion is, this course of fire is really a "games" event and does not rise to the level of the other disciplines.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang82 View Post
Between NRA and CMP there are several handgun (pistol, revolver, PPC, action pistol, .22 pistol) Distinguished badges which can be earned. These represent established, challenging courses of fire. Some of these might be considered precision (Bullseye) and some are considered practical/tactical (Action Pistol, PPC). The GSSF matches are proprietary matches that score relatively graciously, are not precision, are not particularly tactically or practically relevant, and are not particularly challenging. These matches have their place in that they are a great way to introduce individuals to shooting sports and encourage folks to improve their skills through practice and involvement in these events. My opinion is, this course of fire is really a "games" event and does not rise to the level of the other disciplines.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:51 PM

Mustang82 has the right idea. It is not unusual to find plenty of people in the "tactical" arena who think that hitting a dinner plate bullseye at 5yds is the absolute height of marksmanship.