Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2019, 11:05 PM

One interesting take away - I had decided that if offered a Field or Service, that I'd take a Field grade, my thinking it might be 'rougher' but less likely to have been buffed and heavily parked (but those are still cool) and when they called, they ONLY offered a Service Grade. Next few days, I see those folks were offered either. Just depends on the 'box' or boxes they are picking from (I assume lists that the callers have in front of them).
So, someone has a sheet of paper with what I assume is my name and my sheet and 'Service' written on it

Ed
Old 04-01-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimar_police View Post
One interesting take away - I had decided that if offered a Field or Service, that I'd take a Field grade, my thinking it might be 'rougher' but less likely to have been buffed and heavily parked (but those are still cool) and when they called, they ONLY offered a Service Grade. Next few days, I see those folks were offered either. Just depends on the 'box' or boxes they are picking from (I assume lists that the callers have in front of them).
So, someone has a sheet of paper with what I assume is my name and my sheet and 'Service' written on it

Ed
I was thinking the same thing on both counts. kind of a bummer.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:13 PM

AND also the armorer’s opinion on condition!
Old 04-04-2019, 06:45 AM

Default Range results

I received a service grade, reparked, Colt Frame, type 3 Rand slide. At the range it was accurate. Out of the first three mags, at 25 yds., 4 were in the 8 ring, and the remaining 17 were in the 9 ring, on a B-27 target. That's acceptable for a service pistol. The 8 ringers were likely due to my old agedness.

Last edited by Birdogz; 04-04-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:05 PM

I was fortunate to get a service grade1943 Ithica with a Remington Rand slide....traded my Remington Rand slide to a gentleman here on the forum who had the opposite configuration...a Remington Rand frame with an Ithaca slide. We both came out happy with the trade, as it made each of our pistols more historically correct and the Parkeriztion on both slides was a match.

Although my Ithaca looks very good with fresh parkerization from 1980 rebuild, I have to say that the accuracy was very poor. At 25 yards it was barely hitting paper, got closer and still extremely inaccurate. Took out my 1970 Colt Gold Cup and shot the same ammo at the same Target distances and hit 8 ring or bulls every time.

Assuming the frame rails on the Ithaca maybe warn... Slides a little loose, not much - other than that not sure what's causing the inaccuracy, as the barrel and front bushing look very good.

Anyone else experiencing inaccurate results at the range with their CMP 1911?

Overall though ....I'm still very happy with what I got!!

Last edited by Mustang25; 04-05-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:37 PM

Any more trades?
I have Ithica over Remington-Rand

It's slide was tight over frame

I haven't shot it
and may not
just a paper weight

I have 2 Bullseye guns
Ithica and Remington-Rand complete in their own rights
but stippled front and Bomar and Eliason sights tall front ramps
triggers to die for

and they shoot better than my Series 70 Gold Cup
Old 04-05-2019, 06:12 PM

Hi RickRandR

I posted my slide trade inquiry on the for sale trade Post section here on the farm got three inquiries..... And made a trade with a very nice gentleman from Minnesota. We both had CMP 1911 service grade reconditioned approximately the same time earlyn 80s with similar parkerization. there's at least two other guys out there looking to make a similar trade go to the for sale trade section I make a post

My 1970 Gold Cup is actually a pre series 70s 1911 Gold Cup. Was in a production lot about 500 away from final pre-series 70s production. Looks beautiful and shoots great.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:47 PM

Default Nice 1911's

Thanks
Mustang

Don't get me wrong the Gold Cup deserves the Gold Cup
Mine had the nasty habit of putting the second round in the same hole
Nothing like it

Just that all the collectors would knock the modified guns and weather it was a 1911, or a High Standard Military, or 03 they would trash it and say it had no value
Those guns where amazing

So my concern is what becomes of a mix master that is made right?
I would search for the correct parts to re hobble a Garand with the right parts and many are only discernible by milling marks
So if a trade is suitable will it give new life to the Monster

Pictures of field maintenance at the front armorers during the war were mind blowing

You were lucky to get a matching finish and a close re- arsenal match

thanks again
Old 04-06-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang25 View Post
I was fortunate to get a service grade1943 Ithica with a Remington Rand slide....traded my Remington Rand slide to a gentleman here on the forum who had the opposite configuration...a Remington Rand frame with an Ithaca slide. We both came out happy with the trade, as it made each of our pistols more historically correct and the Parkeriztion on both slides was a match.

Although my Ithaca looks very good with fresh parkerization from 1980 rebuild, I have to say that the accuracy was very poor. At 25 yards it was barely hitting paper, got closer and still extremely inaccurate. Took out my 1970 Colt Gold Cup and shot the same ammo at the same Target distances and hit 8 ring or bulls every time.

Assuming the frame rails on the Ithaca maybe warn... Slides a little loose, not much - other than that not sure what's causing the inaccuracy, as the barrel and front bushing look very good.

Anyone else experiencing inaccurate results at the range with their CMP 1911?

Overall though ....I'm still very happy with what I got!!
Maybe you should have kept the gun as it was from CMP as it seems many of them were "fitted" enough that most people are reporting fairly tight guns. It might have actually shot better? IMO it makes them "less historically correct" when you (not the govt) starts swapping out parts.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:51 AM

Hi usrifle,

I actually did shoot it with the slide that came with it as soon as I got it, following a good lubrication of course. Same results with the Remington Rand slide that came with it as with the correct Ithaca slide that is now on it.

So have to assume it's not the slide. Not sure if during the 1980s rebuilding process they actually mic the frame rails for spec tolerances?

As I said either way I'm happy with what I got... just not an accurate shooter.