Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2019, 07:04 AM

The Greeks manufactured, numbered and installed their own bases...see the Winter 2008 GCA Journal.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:33 AM

Each of those M1Cs at the store with what looked to be matching number bases all looked to have been thru at least one rebuild.
One looked like it might have had its original 1945 barrel. Another had a '52 dated barrel. Can't recall the third one's barrel.
None had the characteristic Greek Black and actually looked very nice.
I did not examine the machining on the bases and did not look very hard at the staking since I was not a buyer for any of them.
I do recall thinking that the base pins were not mashed flat like you typically see on Greek installs.
Not sure who rebuilt them but hard to think the Greeks did work this nice-looking.

I am thinking I should have thought to get some photos. Oh well, like they say "hindsight is 20/20"
Old 04-15-2019, 08:30 AM

I apologize for very basic (perhaps dumb) questions, but I'm new to the forum and will be going on my first trip to the South Store in a few weeks. Within PH68's daily reports (thank you so much for doing that) it says things like "60 of the possible 66 rifles present". Does that mean there will NEVER be more than 66 rifles in the store at a time? That's the maximum it can hold? Additionally, in the breakdown of rifles, it'll list "SG = 5" - does SG in that case stand for Service Grade or Special Grade?

I'm just trying to align my expectations for my first trip to the store. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-15-2019, 09:30 AM

you are correct 66 rifles is all that there can be the store portion of cmp is pretty small, and yes sg stands for service grade but if I remember correctly those are for Winchesters and they are not not a regular service grade that is 750.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob30-06 View Post
Each of those M1Cs at the store with what looked to be matching number bases all looked to have been thru at least one rebuild.
One looked like it might have had its original 1945 barrel. Another had a '52 dated barrel. Can't recall the third one's barrel.
None had the characteristic Greek Black and actually looked very nice.
I did not examine the machining on the bases and did not look very hard at the staking since I was not a buyer for any of them.
I do recall thinking that the base pins were not mashed flat like you typically see on Greek installs.
Not sure who rebuilt them but hard to think the Greeks did work this nice-looking.

I am thinking I should have thought to get some photos. Oh well, like they say "hindsight is 20/20"
If these are US rebuilds the base numbers may have been applied by Springfield Armory to the sides of the base. Those would be of a different font and size than the Griffin & Howe applied numbers.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennboy View Post
If these are US rebuilds the base numbers may have been applied by Springfield Armory to the sides of the base. Those would be of a different font and size than the Griffin & Howe applied numbers.
The ones I looked at were numbered on the bottom.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:47 PM

Default Grades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usarmy19862011 View Post
you are correct 66 rifles is all that there can be the store portion of cmp is pretty small, and yes sg stands for service grade but if I remember correctly those are for Winchesters and they are not not a regular service grade that is 750.
The grades are

SG Service Grade highest grade
FG Field Grade
RG Rack Grade lowest grade

There are other grades but these are the most common, i.e. Collector Grade etc...

Prices are based upon manufacturers and overall condition. Example WRA SG is 950.00/ IHC 1080.00 where as SA or HRA SG are 750.00 plus 10% tax....
Old 04-15-2019, 01:39 PM

With the service grade Winchesters trickling into the store, any thoughts on them opening them back up to mail order? Am I correct in understanding they've not released any service grade Winchesters to mail order from the Philippine batch yet?

Last edited by 42Springfield; 04-15-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Springfield View Post
With the service grade Winchesters trickling into the store, any thoughts on them opening them back up to mail order? Am I correct in understanding they've not released any service grade Winchesters to mail order from the Philippine batch yet?
Just a guess on my part, but I think the Winchesters in the store are like the recent 1903A3's that were put out. Since it appears the Specials are the majority of available rifles for sale they have had to pull out other rifles to fill a void of surplus rifles till they can catch up with mail order of Service and Field Grades. I would think the store sales of Winchesters will hinder any mail order for them. FWIW
Old 04-15-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob30-06 View Post
The ones I looked at were numbered on the bottom.
Well I am bumfuzzled, I'll need to examine them in-hand before I can offer any additional meaningful comment. At this point however it sounds like the matching number Cs at the store are legit lacking pics indicating otherwise.