Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2019, 08:55 PM

I think the one Rob was looking at was the one that had a parked chamber on an unmarked barrel. I looked at the staking on that one and it had what I would call unmolested original "hard receiver" staking. So, I would say that that base was likely original to the rifle.

SA would have likely removed to rebarrel. And not with a Marlin. So likely a greek project. The other two I glanced at the staking enough to know that they were both a mess. Those were the ones that had odd looking base serials. I don't recall the base serial for the unmarked barrel one, but like I said, don't think it had been removed.

I did photograph the staking on the marlin barrel one since it had what I believe was original "hard receiver" staking and should have done the base serials on the others, but didn't think a simple caution was going to cause so much consternation. Declaring them original sight unseen is a little over the top. But, it is your $3055, do with it what you want.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:46 AM

Thanks for the additional detail, the Cs fascinate me. It is not so much consternation as a desire to learn the subtle (and not so subtle) differences between a Greek rebuild and a US rebuild. "Sounds like" isn't exactly a declaration, but I get your point. If anyone examined the base pins on the current store Cs, please describe their condition.

Last edited by Tennboy; 04-16-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:54 AM

The rifle that most interested me was the C with what looked like might be the original 45 dated SA barrel.
Unless I am mistaken it had a matching number stamped on the bottom of the base
It was obviously refinished at some point as the breech was dark. The finish was a nice grey color.
I think it was the one with the real nice 3/8" HRA stock.
The Base Pins were in good condition and not flattened like you see with the Greek returns.
I did not examine the staking very closely.

John,
Maybe you can cruise by there and take a look?

Rob
Old 04-16-2019, 07:09 AM

I would love to Rob, but will return to Tennessee from Florida via I95 This time to drop the granddaughter off in SC. Maybe next week.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:46 PM

I'd like to visit the South Store Thursday or Friday in an attempt to pick up a Winchester M1 with a Winchester barrel. What time should I arrive to have a fair chance?
Old 04-16-2019, 06:54 PM

Default Opening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
I'd like to visit the South Store Thursday or Friday in an attempt to pick up a Winchester M1 with a Winchester barrel. What time should I arrive to have a fair chance?
They open at 8:00 and there could be no customers to 20++++, you never know. Customers in line from my experience have always been on the gentlemanís code. Line forms in order of when you arrived at the store and when door opens thatís the order you enter the store, but then customers can pick the rifle they want, the racks are open to all customers to select their rifle in no order. Good luck and I hope you find what your looking for. If I can help just ask.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:04 PM

Sounds like I should be there a few minutes before 8a then? It's not the end of the world if I don't find one, but doing so is something I'd like to do. Any help or advice offered would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
Sounds like I should be there a few minutes before 8a then? It's not the end of the world if I don't find one, but doing so is something I'd like to do. Any help or advice offered would be greatly appreciated.
Look for Tom, he will be the one walking around like a reporter with a note pad writing numbers down. I have made a few visits to the store and his help was AWESOME as are his daily/weekly reports. I feel compelled like Tom to take all the orphans home, so itís a good thing I live in Maryland. Enjoy your trip and ask for help. I have not found a single person who was not willing to assist. Also you can take your ďselectionĒ to the counter and open it up.

GOOD LUCK
Old 04-16-2019, 09:13 PM

Several of the regulars love to help people out. The staff is also very willing to explain anything you have questions about. They'll even give you some basic pointers if you have zero knowledge. On my first trip I just knew I wanted "a WWII Garand", that narrowed it down to two manufacturers and we took it from there.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:25 AM

My experience has been that Fridays have the fewest customers at opening typically and that Saturdays have the most knowledgible regulars to help you out. Tom is there every day of course. Winchesters seem to be available recently so now is the time to go.