Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2019, 08:55 PM

Snap it up! Then post some pics for us.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:18 PM

Agreed, buy it. Like someone above said, maybe trade for a remington stock.

Tom

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2019, 09:43 PM

honestly, I wouldn't have left the store without it at that price. I'd be afraid it was gone when I went back to get it!
Old 05-29-2019, 09:52 PM

Hey fellas! Great news! I bought it! Super happy and wouldn’t have done it with your support and help! I already have a couple offers on trades for correct RA stocks too. Any recommendations there? Thank you for helping me!
Old 05-30-2019, 11:56 AM

$700.00 rifle all day.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:23 PM

Yes, buy it now, all day long. Keep the stock, find a C or scant stock (does CMP still have those?) to shoot it with, it will give you a much better cheek weld than the straight stock and be more comfortable to shoot.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:49 PM

I wouldn't be able to get my wallet out fast enough! yes, buy it! beautiful rifle!
Old 05-30-2019, 10:46 PM

Default Stock trade offered to me

Thank you so much for all of this wonderful info, guys! I am super happy with my purchase!

A forum member has come forward and offered me a trade: his unmarked Remington stock purchased from the CMP for my Smith Corona stock on this rifle. How do you guys think this trade stacks up? He was straight forward with saying there are no markings or cartouches. Here are the pictures of the stock his offering for trade posted with his permission (maintaining anonymity out of courtesy):

https://imgur.com/a/32vrn2c

What would you do? Say no thanks; across the table swap; so extra cash on top in either direction? Your input is appreciated!
Old 05-30-2019, 10:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.F.Ullom1944Garand View Post
Thank you so much for all of this wonderful info, guys! I am super happy with my purchase!

A forum member has come forward and offered me a trade: his unmarked Remington stock purchased from the CMP for my Smith Corona stock on this rifle. How do you guys think this trade stacks up? He was straight forward with saying there are no markings or cartouches. Here are the pictures of the stock his offering for trade posted with his permission (maintaining anonymity out of courtesy):

https://imgur.com/a/32vrn2c

What would you do? Say no thanks; across the table swap; so extra cash on top in either direction? Your input is appreciated!
The offered stock is a scant stock and you need a "S" straight stock to be correct for your rifle. Your SC stock has the correct stamps and cartouches, so a fair trade you should expect the same in return.
I would pass and hold out for the right/correct stock.

1903 stocks...
https://images.app.goo.gl/a9DLjXrAjP9hXTNQ7

Last edited by Shomway; 05-30-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
The offered stock is a scant stock and you need a "S" straight stock to be correct for your rifle. Your SC stock has the correct stamps and cartouches, so a fair trade you should expect the same in return.
I would pass and hold out for the right/correct stock.

1903 stocks...
https://images.app.goo.gl/a9DLjXrAjP9hXTNQ7
Excellent. I really appreciate your speedy and educational input, Shomway! I owe a lot to your input on a couple of purchases/swaps I have looked into in the past! I appreciate the offer the gentleman made but it sounds like it is not the one for me at this time.

Honestly, I do like my 1903A3 the way it is. Do we know some explanations for how stocks got swapped around from SC to RA and vice versa in their history? I am just curious how a SC stock got onto what I understand to be an otherwise overwhelming original rifle. I know in the Garand world, rebuilds, breakages, and even guys just cleaning their rifle next to each other and accidentally mixing stocks are some possible reasons; not to mention not so savvy collectors making improper correction choices. Is it similar with the 1903A3s? Forgive my ignorance, I do plan on buying a Canfield book on the 1903s soon so I can more fully appreciate what I have here!