Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professional Amateur View Post
Very very pleased with this beautiful HRA. The Walnut is absolutely beautiful. Pictures don't quite do it justice. A couple coats of oil is all that's needed for me on this one.

Added a note for please no pitting and they definitely came through. For everyone waiting on theirs, just hang in there. It will be well worth it. This one is a keeper. Had to jump through more hoops than any gun I have ever purchased, buy sight unseen and luck of the draw, and also waited longer than I have ever had to wait for a gun. Now I have a real US Military Surplus M1 Garand with it's original finish and a beautiful one at that. It was all worth it. Sure to be an heirloom.
This one's not for sale and I won't be letting just any joe shmo touch it either, let alone shoot it.

That looks really nice. The gas cylinder has very little finish wear compared with the chrome looking ones that have shown up lately. Make sure to fully disassemble it. There was a lot of grunge under my clip latch and rear sight cover, but thankfully no rust. Enjoy!
Old 06-16-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwosu View Post
That looks really nice. The gas cylinder has very little finish wear compared with the chrome looking ones that have shown up lately. Make sure to fully disassemble it. There was a lot of grunge under my clip latch and rear sight cover, but thankfully no rust. Enjoy!

Thanks. I was very surprised. I kept in mind what the CMP described in the Service grade description and I know that there are quite a number sent lately that are just barely meeting the Service grade. Some really really rough ones, but they do say luck of the draw. Luck was definitely on my side and I think my note I added of "Please no pitting" helped. If they can accommodate you, and your request is reasonable, then they will do what they can if possible.

You are right, the gas cylinder is not too bad at all. I was gonna reblack it with Caswells right away if it was all in the white like most have been lately, but with a good portion of finish left and it matching good enough with the barrel finish, I think it looks better as is.

Definitely gonna go over it and fully disassemble. The clip latch for sure. With an LMR barrel (HRA did use them) and MR of 2+ and TR of 2+ it should be a great shooter. The barrel being 9/53 could mean it possibly could be the original barrel. Since it is a post war and just missed the Korean war, it probably wouldn't have seen much action and if it was a Tukish Air Force or Navy M1 it would explain why is wasn't beaten and pitted up all to heck.

Word has it the Turkish Army has a lot they want to send back but those will have been very heavily used, I am afraid.
Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM

600K SA Field Grade delivered a couple weeks ago:

Hackberry stock and IHC trigger, otherwise all SA. Barrel was ME 3, TE 2. Lots of sectional steel cleaning rods beating up that muzzle. GC was pretty much in the white and super loose on the barrel, but correctable. Op rod tab was too far gone for anything but a plinker. Sight detents worn flat as well. Lower band was so loose it had to be pitched.
Receiver a lovely shade of turd brown- actually I thought it looked kinda cool but there were a few very small pits. I had heard that M1's from this period were mostly shipped out to the Pacific and then perhaps this one is a Turkish return? Never seen a sight so completely worn out. Despite the issues, after tightening up what I could and giving it a clean and lube it did shoot HXP ammo ok- 2 X's, 8 of 10 shots in the 10-ring of a SR-1 and the other two shots middle of the 9-ring

Anyway, the FG was the basis for a JCG match rifle with a new Krieger barrel. Here it is back from a friend who is an excellent armorer, with a fresh re-park, new barrel, new stock, and a few USGI other replacement parts:

If it now goes outside the 10-ring, totally my bad!

Tags
linseed oil, rm1special