Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2019, 11:57 PM

I arrived May of 66 which was pretty early. M16 were scarce and only maneuver battalions had them in quantity. There were tons of carbines in use by the ARVN and PF people. You'd see a guy in black pajamas in a hammock with a carbine hanging off the hammock on most bridges along Hwy 1 and 19 up between the coast and An Khe/ Pleiku. We had no idea if he was a VC tax collector or a PF guard.He'd wave, we'd wave. Why take a chance finding out? Koreans also had all US WW2 gear. I'd bet that the VC got most of their carbines from French gear leftover from that war, also the Chinese sold/donated a lot of weapons that were captured from the US when the Chinese invaded N.Korea and ran the 1st Cav and 2nd divisions all the way down to the 38th parallel. I've seen photos of stacked US weapons sitting out in the rain at Cam Rahn. Stacked like you'd stack sticks for charcoal. All of them rustbuckets, Thompsons, BARS, carbines Garands, just jungle junk to the NVA after they won. They were committed to Soviet weapons systems and had no use for vintage junk. I suspect they sold the M16s and let the rest rot.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:55 AM

Recently seen was carbines stacked and rusted beyond use in the open. It was said many were smelted down as scrap over the last 50 years.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to hoyceman

I have an M1A1 that came back with a Ranger friend. Problem was the barrel had been bobbed to 12 or so inches and the top half of the front sight band brazed to what was left of the barrel . Immediate barrel change. The carbine was a Quality HMC with all Quality parts and a dogleg hammer. My buddy said it was handy over your
shoulder as a backup weapon and some guys preferred M2s.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:20 PM

A Korean man told me that South Korea melted down a lot of Carbine stuff as well, I think he was referring to the 1980s when he was serving.