Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2019, 08:16 PM

Default Carcano Model 1941 Identification

Went to the Sharonville Gun Show in Cincy over the weekend and picked up what I believe to be a Model 1941 Carcano. I didn't go looking for one.. but this rifle called to me the most out of everything I looked at that morning.

Once home I disassembled, cleaned, and inspected. Bore looks great, everything is tight, functions as what i think it should. However there are no clear caliber marking anywhere on the barrel or receiver. In fact, the only marking that makes sense is the FAT 41 on the top of the receiver.

So my questions are, and pictures are below:

1) Is this a 6.5x52 Model 41?

2) What is the circular brand on the left side of the stock?

3) Is F A G 46 of any significance?

https://imgur.com/a/l9PyDLG

Thank you for any and all feedback,
Justin

Last edited by JPT; 10-07-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:35 PM

Fabbrica d'armi Terni (FAT) is the factory in the city where it was (probably) originally made, '41 the year. Though it could also be a M1891 rifle refurbished there. F A G 46 is the stamp for Gardone (where Beretta is located), likely a rebuild stamp, 1946. Though it is most likely a 6.5x52 M41 rifle, it's best to make certain about the caliber, since some were redone in 8mmx57 Mauser. Hopefully people with better knowledge will be along soon. Nice rifle!

Last edited by M2Phil; 10-07-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Phil View Post
Fabbrica d'armi Terni (FAT) is the factory in the city where it was (probably) originally made, '41 the year. Though it could also be a M1891 rifle refurbished there. F A G 46 is the stamp for Gardone (where Beretta is located), likely a rebuild stamp, 1946. Though it is most likely a 6.5x52 M41 rifle, it's best to make certain about the caliber, since some were redone in 8mmx57 Mauser. Hopefully people with better knowledge will be along soon. Nice rifle!
Well I guess that would explain why Fabbrica d'armi Terni is branded in the stock..It all makes sense now.

Thank you for all the info, half of the fun is learning new things

Last edited by JPT; 10-07-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:44 PM

This is a good site but Italian ( use Google Translate )

Looks like Model 91/41 to me? ( see Fucile 91/41 )

http://www.il91.it/il91.html

Last edited by luigi; 10-07-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:46 PM

The adjustable rear sight, straight bolt handle, and long barrel would indicate that your rifle is an older version of the Mannlicher Carcano. The Model 1941 was shorter, had a bent bolt handle and a fixed rear sight.

6.5mm was the standard caliber, but the Italians also had a 7.35mm cartridge designed for the same rifle. Also, as stated above, some were rechambered for the German mauser cartridge in 8mm.

Italy used this rifle in both WWI and WWII.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi View Post
This is a good site but Italian ( use Google Translate )

Looks like Model 91/41 to me? ( see Fucile 91/41 )

http://www.il91.it/il91.html
oh wow, what a page! Sure looks like a 91/41, the sights are different from the 1891. I translated the page on the 91/41 and it has some great history, thanks for the link! I have been checking out this one as well. Seems like a good bit of info

https://www.milsurps.com/content.php...d-for-accuracy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyrifleman View Post
The adjustable rear sight, straight bolt handle, and long barrel would indicate that your rifle is an older version of the Mannlicher Carcano. The Model 1941 was shorter, had a bent bolt handle and a fixed rear sight.

6.5mm was the standard caliber, but the Italians also had a 7.35mm cartridge designed for the same rifle. Also, as stated above, some were rechambered for the German mauser cartridge in 8mm.

Italy used this rifle in both WWI and WWII.
How many were converted to 8mm? I did a very (non) scientific experiment by placing an 8mm in the barrel and got this result.

https://imgur.com/a/GOpV7u2
Old 10-08-2019, 06:11 AM

That is a 91/41 . It should be 6.5 Carcano. I have one they are fun to shoot ,once you get used to the sights. You will need to load it with enbloc clips otherwise you can damage the bolt trying to load single rounds .
Old 10-08-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC 7.62 View Post
That is a 91/41 . It should be 6.5 Carcano. I have one they are fun to shoot ,once you get used to the sights. You will need to load it with enbloc clips otherwise you can damage the bolt trying to load single rounds .
Thanks for the positive ID and enbloc knowledge. I am looking forward to getting the rifle to the range but not sure if i can get the enblocs in before the next trip.

Soon though..
Old 10-09-2019, 12:30 PM

You can damage the extractor by putting a cartridge in the chamber and closing the bolt over it. It is designed so that the cartridge rim slips under the extractor coming out of the clip. You can safely load single rounds by removing the bolt, slipping the cartridge onto the bolt face with the rim under the extractor, and then reinserting the "loaded" bolt.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talking warrior View Post
You can damage the extractor by putting a cartridge in the chamber and closing the bolt over it. It is designed so that the cartridge rim slips under the extractor coming out of the clip. You can safely load single rounds by removing the bolt, slipping the cartridge onto the bolt face with the rim under the extractor, and then reinserting the "loaded" bolt.
Good info for single loading, I never would have thought to load that way

For everyones situational awareness.. I intended to convey above that I am waiting for enblocs before firing.

-side note-

What started as an impulse buy knowing some history has turned into a week long research and information quest for this rifle. Thanks to all who provided input, I am ecstatic to have this in the collection.