Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2019, 08:55 AM

Said they could fit a finger in the slot and touch the rifle
Old 10-14-2019, 02:11 AM

Sorry to hear that.

Did you actually see them do it?

Did you have your rifle centered?

I tried it with only tight fitting locks in all four lock holes. Not tape.

With the M1 centered in the middle of case top of rifle towards and nearer the hinge I could not reach any of the rifle.

They either have really long skinny fingers, an overactive imagination, or...
Old 10-14-2019, 02:19 PM

Thats a bummer. I bought that storm case years ago just for traveling.

Maybe look into the apache series at harbor freight. I think they make a full size version for a lot less than a storm or pelican.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:31 PM

Is that a criteria on their website?

I have seen agents make things up.

The only requirement is for a locked hard case.

I would have asked them if they really don't trust their employees that much. And if not, why would I fly on their airline?

If someone wants to steal your rifle, they will just take the whole case. Why mess around with getting it out of the case, then be at an airport carrying around a rifle????????????
Old 10-15-2019, 02:36 PM

I had the rifle near the center of the case it was a m1917. I’m not sure who sets the criteria for it. The case had locks on it as required.

My dad mentioned a coworker had a similar situation. They flew out of Atlanta to Jacksonville with a shotgun no issues. Then when he went fly back home the check in counter said no for the same reason. Had to have a friend pick it up.

I would like to quit flying American because of this but annoyingly they are the only airline to fly nonstop dfw to Jacksonville.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:49 PM

If you are inclined I would check American's web site on shipping firearms and maybe call or email someone for clarification.

When my son and I recently flew out of ATL on Alaska Airlines I got into a bit of a "discussion" at the check-in counter with an agent over the rules of flying firearms and gun cases. Having flown firearms a lot and on Alaska Airlines I know the rules very well. This gentleman was incorrect on what he was trying to make us do to check in our gun cases. Another agent finally straighten him out. He then made us go through some unnecessary hoops with our regular bags and some ammo we checked as baggage as punishment for knowing the rules better than he did.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:45 AM

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ammunition.jsp

It seems they do state that the firearm be inaccessible:

Quote:
In a locked hard-sided container where the firearm is totally inaccessible
So they were right. Surprisingly.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
If you are inclined I would check American's web site on shipping firearms and maybe call or email someone for clarification.

When my son and I recently flew out of ATL on Alaska Airlines I got into a bit of a "discussion" at the check-in counter with an agent over the rules of flying firearms and gun cases. Having flown firearms a lot and on Alaska Airlines I know the rules very well. This gentleman was incorrect on what he was trying to make us do to check in our gun cases. Another agent finally straighten him out. He then made us go through some unnecessary hoops with our regular bags and some ammo we checked as baggage as punishment for knowing the rules better than he did.
Years ago, we traveled everywhere with our shotguns to grab a couple of rounds of sporting clays.

We found that our shotgun cases got much better treatment if we purchased excess insurance. And, the standard insurance did not cover the shotgun and custom fitted case.

The ONLY place we flew out of on Delta, that the agents did not know how to do the excess insurance was ATL.

We actually got to know the evening supervisor quite well. When we told the agent we wanted excess insurance, and they got a puzzled look, we told them, "Call JD." When he arrived, we always had a nice chat about where we had been shooting.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:23 AM

Inaccessible should not mean touch with a finger, which I doubt they actually could, it means the firearm is not accessible, as in, you can't take it out of the case. But who knows with the current climate when it comes to firearms.

Having flown firearms hundreds of times and I have heard many excuses by airline employees why a firearm can't be checked as baggage. It is always the opinion of the agent either because they don't know the rules or they don't like firearms.

BTW Alaska Airlines allows 5000 rnds or 50 lbs of ammo per person as checked baggage.

Last edited by hogfamily; 10-18-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Tags
case, flying, travel